Question About Air Brushes

Decorating By Sneezie Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 2:10pm by katta87_2005

Sneezie Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 12

Can you use any airbrush to decorate your cakes or does it have to be specifically one designed for cake decorating? Thanks in advance!

11 replies
jlsheik Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 12

I think so...mine came from Hobby Lobby....just make sure you can adjust the pressure and I tink it will be fine.

Loucinda Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 12

You can use about any kind - it is important that it be a dedicated one though, you can't use it for anything else other than cakes! I bought mine from Michaels - it is a badger - there are folks that have bought them from Harbor Freight and on ebay - do a search, there is a ton of info on them.

Sneezie Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:02am
post #4 of 12

Do you like the one you bought?

txnonnie Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:29am
post #5 of 12

I just ordered and received a system. Can't wait to experiment with it. I purchased one designed for cakes.

Loucinda Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 12

I have a badger one - IMO, if I had to do it again, I would have looked for a simpler design - this one has a lot of parts and when it is torn down, it is a bear to get it back together. I love the way it works, but it is not user friendly.

umgrzfn Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 12

You can use just about any SMALLER one and it has to be "oilless"!!!!! Otherwise they will spit oil on the cake!! Also, you need to make sure you buy a gauge for it if it is a bit bigger so you can ajust the PSI! I have one that I bought at a hobby store. Much cheaper then the badger and has a max PSI of 30 (or 50, but I think it's 30) but I can adjust it down to zero. I don't remember the name of it right off hand but it works GREAT!!!!
HTH

kyhendry Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:02pm
post #8 of 12

Mine is an airbrush that I bought at an art supply store and the pump/motor was bought at a hobby shop. You'll love it! My favorite thing to do with it is to spray my cakes with pearl at the end so the whole thing has a sparkle/shine.

jlsheik Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 12

Sorry, just saw your question asking if I liked it....I love it! I use it all the time, I just made ball caps( in my pics) and it really brought them to life!

Mencked Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:13pm
post #10 of 12

I just bought an air brush and compressor via internet after combing CC for every bit of info I could--the compressor has arrived, and I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my airbrush....I have no idea how to even hook the two together, but I can't wait to start using one! Mine is not specifically designed for cakes, but it is the one recommended by Roland Wienbeckler (I'm sure I just murdered the spelling of his name). I didn't order from his site, although, when you add everything up, his starter kit may have been the way to go...includes colors, extra bottles, airbrush and compressor....oh well....wish me luck and I'm sure I'll be on here when it arrives begging for help!

tiggy2 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:20pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

I just bought an air brush and compressor via internet after combing CC for every bit of info I could--the compressor has arrived, and I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my airbrush....I have no idea how to even hook the two together, but I can't wait to start using one! Mine is not specifically designed for cakes, but it is the one recommended by Roland Wienbeckler (I'm sure I just murdered the spelling of his name). I didn't order from his site, although, when you add everything up, his starter kit may have been the way to go...includes colors, extra bottles, airbrush and compressor....oh well....wish me luck and I'm sure I'll be on here when it arrives begging for help!

That's the one I have, Aztek 4709, and I love it. Not a lot of parts and easy to clean. No needle to bend or replace!

katta87_2005 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:10pm
post #12 of 12

I just got the kopykake airbrush, i haven't had a chance to mess with it too much yet but so far it seems worth the cost. It has a very simple design and is easy to clean and use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%