Shiny Fondant

Decorating By Lisa197530 Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 2:27pm by blu_canary

Lisa197530 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 4

Hello I'm new to cake central and cake decorating! While I've been decorating with fondant I glue fondant pieces on with Wilton clear vanilla. The problem I have is the spots where I glue the fondant, if any vanilla drips and I end up with shiny fondant. How do I get rid of shiny spots on my fondant? I watch the shows on tv and they never have shiny spots, unless they want to.

3 replies
varika Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa197530

Hello I'm new to cake central and cake decorating! While I've been decorating with fondant I glue fondant pieces on with Wilton clear vanilla. The problem I have is the spots where I glue the fondant, if any vanilla drips and I end up with shiny fondant. How do I get rid of shiny spots on my fondant? I watch the shows on tv and they never have shiny spots, unless they want to.

I think once they're there, they're there. You can stick fondant on with a bit of frosting instead, though, and you can coat it lightly on your accent piece and then put it on the cake, so you don't get drips. You can also do this with water or vanilla extract, as well, and then you don't get drips on your cake.

jenjenjen Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 4

Sometimes I have been able to dust it lightly with a little powdered sugar and blend in, so it won't be as shiny. Good luck.

blu_canary Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 4

I'm with you. I assume it is just practice. I use water---or piping gel, depending on how precarious the piece is---and it never fails. I always get a shiny spot somewhere.

Of course, it helps if I use a rolled buttercream since it's shiny, too. icon_smile.gif My mistakes don't show then!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%