How Can This Be Alright?

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 3:43pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 22

I was thinking of putting some pictures of other people's cakes on my site. I will label the album "inspiration photos", will let people know I did not make the cakes but am able to do something similar and post who made the cake.

will this be alright?

21 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 22

I would ask the owner of the image permission first...

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 22

I think that even if you label it as "inspiration photos" and give the names there, you could still be misleading people who come to your website. I think you should instead provide a list of links to others' sites for "inspiration."

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 22

I personally wouldn't do itvif I were you. If you'd like, make dummy cakes and take pictures of it. It will also be a great reference when you have someone look at your creations.

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 22

I love saving pics of inspiration cakes. I have photobucket and I just made the account locked and private with my album there. That way only I can see them and don't have to worry about posting other peoples cakes up on the web. It works for me.

londonpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
londonpeach Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 22

I wouldn't think this is a good idea.
I'm in the process of making a website and do not at present have many cakes on it.
I'm offering family cakes at cost price for now so I can build up my portfolio.
I think it's best if you show your own work as we can't always do the same detail as others, even if we think we can.
So time to do a bit of baking and decorating for you I think icon_wink.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 22

I would say no..I recently had an incident where I accidently uploaded a photo I had saved to my files for inspiration of another CC members Princess cookie on my site...I had no idea until she emailed me and kindly thanked me for liking her cookies but could I please remove her picture and replace it with my own...I was soooo embarrased and removed it immediatley...Even if you stated they were other people pictures...I wouldn't want mine on other people sites either.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 22

all4cake, that has crossed my mind and I will do that if I go down this route.

varika, links would be okay, i think but most people are more into the visuals and links would sadly be missed IMO.

rylanTy, oh if i could only afford it I will. but I am unemployed and my DH, sweetie that he is, says he will only give me money for ingredients when I get orders. i swear it's like a cycle. i can't make money until i have orders but i can't get orders until i have samples or pictures. *pulls hair out* lol

just to clarify, i'm NOT trying to justify doing this, I'm asking is there a way for this to be alright. Will it be alright if I get permission first? will it be alright if I provide a link back to the original caker? Cause if I wanted to be sneaky about it, i would have just gone and done it. but since this community is so generous and give great advice, i wanna be able to stay here icon_smile.gif

ETA
thanks for the replies so far icon_smile.gif You guys are really helping me. it's nice when I can bounce off ideas with people other than my DH icon_biggrin.gif I really appreciate it.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 22

I'm sorry....I just don't think there is a way for this to be alright. Maybe you could try to talk to your husband about buying some cake dummies? Global Sugar Art has them for fairly inexpensive prices, and you can re-use them to decorate them endlessly. That would give you your sample pictures to start with.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:32pm
post #10 of 22

I can't talk him into buying me new cake stuff, unfortunately i've tried icon_wink.gif

Has anyone tried decorating cake pans? like turning them upside down and icing them?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:39pm
post #11 of 22

Cake dummies are an investment in your future. If you're gong to do this where you actually sell cakes, you're going to have to get licensed and that's going to cost some money also.

all4cake Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:42pm
post #12 of 22

You know...I wouldn't mind if someone used my photo on their site as long as it was in a labeled area as you had suggested "Inspirational (although, not sure how I would actually word it) Cakes"....cakes done by other artists that are within my abilities to create.

(feel free to use any of mine in that area should you decide to do it that way)

londonpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
londonpeach Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:42pm
post #13 of 22

Do you not have any family or friends that would pay for ingredients (including any little tools you may need icon_wink.gif ) to get your portfolio up and running icon_rolleyes.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:46pm
post #14 of 22

LOL - i did ONCE a long time ago -
I wanted to see how a certain idea would look, so i bought a cheap fondant - and decorated it.
Sat the covered tin in the den/cake drying room (lol) for 3 days and when i came to lift the fondant off it all came away in one clean piece-
I sat it on a cake board to gauge the affect - and it just loooked like a real covered cake thumbs_up.gif

So yes - you could do that - If you are not sure if the fondant will come away cleanly from the tin i guess you could always rub some shortening on the tin OR tape some non stick baking paper onto the tin - that way you can lift the fonant off cleanly....

Happy sample making AKAccs icon_smile.gif

Bluehue.

all4cake Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:50pm
post #15 of 22

or even molded sugar castings of your pans. or plaster castings....or stacked cardboard circles/shapes cut from boxes attained from empty stock boxes from area stores (just get them before they've been crushed.

piperyendor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
piperyendor Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:50pm
post #16 of 22

Hello everyone,

This is my first time to this discussion. I'm not sure if I am doing it right but here goes.

About buying dummy cakes and decorating them. Please bear in mind, the cost of making a cake is nominal compared to the time and materials needed to make and decorate a real cake. I have purchased dummy cakes in the past and they look great and easy to travel. However, if funds is your problem as is mine, make the real thing. Even if you have to donate it to your church or something. The PR you get from that can start your business. You can't sell a dummy cake but, if you tell a friend or two about your problem, they may want to buy the real thing. That can get you material for future cakes, besides, if you are as good as you think, they will be a source of advertising for you too.

Good luck

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:56pm
post #17 of 22

AKA_cupcakeshoppe ,
Get creative. I hoard different size boxes and when I want to make a dummy, I gather the ones I want, sometimes I have to cut them to size and ice them with RI with no flavoring, first and then add decorations. These are all made that way.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1335599.html ,
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1293738.html ,
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_63087.html , http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_781283.html on this cake, there is only one tier that is cake. The top is an oatmeal box and the two larger tiers, I cut out of styrofoam that was on sale at HL.
I don't plan on reusing these dummies, I suppose if you want to reuse the dummy, you could spray-varnish over the RI

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:00pm
post #18 of 22

Oh yes, I totally understand. This hobby requires some money.

Btw, have you been to chocolate lovers? Do they still sell a lot of decorating things over there?

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:10pm
post #19 of 22

Dynee, great ideas and great cakes thanks so much! Off to hoard boxes. thumbs_up.gif

yeastconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeastconfection Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:18pm
post #20 of 22

I have gotten styrofoam from furniture shops....they use it as a packing material. I just go and shop and then ask if they happen to have any foam that they will be throwing away. I tell them what I will be doing with it and even show them a pic and usually they are very helpful. I have a table full of huge rectangles of foam that works perfectly for dummy cakes!

warmshade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warmshade Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:39pm
post #21 of 22

The first wedding cake I did was for my fiancee's Sister she had four idea in her head as to what she wanted. The cheapest solution I could think of was dividing a styrofoam dummy into 1/4's like big slices. Then I could decorate each 1/4 and still have a decent size sample to show.
That was years ago though and I didn't get any pictures of it. I cant remember what site I got the foam off of either. Sorry bout that, but I hope my idea helps.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:43pm
post #22 of 22

oh my. thank you so much for all the ideas guys! icon_smile.gif boxes! cake pans! icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake, thanks so much icon_smile.gif I will let you know if I ever do this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%