Indydebi's Buttercreme?

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 7:35pm by cylstrial

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 8

This recipe calls for Crisco, do I have to use Crisco or will the generic shortening work as well. I just last week bought a whole can of Walmart generic and would like to use it up.

Thanks

7 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 8

I like to use Crisco. The first time I made it with the Walmart shortening, it failed. Some people don't have problems with it but I personally suggest you try it with Crisco first, that way you know how everything is.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 8

The generic Walmart vegetable shortening still has trans fats. That means that while it's not great for people's health, it is better for frosting than Crisco. The trans fats help the frosting texture. I always use generic in Indydebi's recipe and it's much easier to smooth than it is when it's made with Crisco.

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 8

I used walmart brand shortening w/indydebi's icing and it worked out just fine.

sleeper713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleeper713 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 8

I bought Wal-Mart brand shortening last week after reading posts about how much better it is than Crisco since Crisco changed its formula... didn't read the can until I got home, and that's when I realized that it doesn't have trans-fats either. It's thinner than Crisco, and all I can use it for is greasing my pans.

tree45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tree45 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 8

I used the generic Krogers and I had no problem.

erin_e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin_e Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 8

I just made my 1st batch of Indydebi's buttercream and used the generic "great value" shortening from walmart. It turned out great...I fed some to my dh (aka my guinea pig lol) and his reaction was "wow, that's really smooth!" he loved it. I think the important thing to know is the all vegetable generic shortening does have transfat (I bought mine last night and THEN looked at the label--its like 3g or something per serving.) They also have the other shortening that isn't all veggie (something about meat fat creeps me out so I don't get that) that may be what doesn't have any transfat.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 8

Yep, as everyone else said, you can definitely use the generic brand. =o)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%