Air Brushed

Decorating By prayful Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 12:12pm by jillangel

prayful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prayful Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 7

This is the first paid cake that I made for a graduation. I used airbrushed for the bottom tier but elephant skins showed up on most parts of the cakes especially the top edge, so I had to cover them with strips and some flattened balls. I think, airbrushed dried the fondant. The box was sitting on my lap the whole time of travel (30 minutes with 60 degress) and I felt it moved on the board to the side by a half inch 1 minute to the house of the client. The Mom was happy with the cake though it had so much defects that they couldn't see because they were amazed by the design. Lucky me, I think there was no cake decorators of fondants in my area, so they don't have any comparisons with others..lol. I charged her 35.00 because we know the family and my son stays over thier house coz her son was my son's classmate. But she gave me 40.00. How much would you charge for this cake considering less or unnoticeable defects.

The minis cakes were samples for the wedding, not the actual bride's design but I just decorate them for prsentation. I airbrushed them too but the fondants got so dried and hard. this will be my first wedding. She is a new friend too that tasted my cakes so she wanted me to make her wedding cake with simple design for 100 people. Do you think 12, 10, 8, inches and 6 (for her to keep in her freezer), 2 inches 2 layers, can feed 100 people? How much should I charge her?

Sorry too much questions that do not belong in this section.

Please help and advise for improvemnts, thank you all so much.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1387360&sub=1387362

6 replies
prayful Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 7

oops.. I cannot attach the pics, please see my photos i just uploaded.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1387360&sub=1387362

prayful Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 7

Anyone?

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:49am
post #4 of 7

I'm not really sure about a price because I'm bad with pricing (saving to get a copy of cake boss software icon_lol.gif ) I will say the flaws probably bother you more than the average person would even notice. As far as the fondant drying what kind of fondant are you using? Maybe that makes a difference. I've airbrushed over Michele Foster's fondant and it stayed wonderful and soft. It has been humid around here lately and maybe that makes a difference. I hope someone can help you more. Cakes look nice though!

jillangel Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:54am
post #5 of 7

I'm not really sure about a price because I'm bad with pricing (saving to get a copy of cake boss software icon_lol.gif ) I will say the flaws probably bother you more than the average person would even notice. As far as the fondant drying what kind of fondant are you using? Maybe that makes a difference. I've airbrushed over Michele Foster's fondant and it stayed wonderful and soft. It has been humid around here lately and maybe that makes a difference. I hope someone can help you more. Cakes look nice though!

prayful Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:02pm
post #6 of 7

I've been using my own made fondant ever since I started. This was my first time with airbrush too, I am still playing with the airbrush. I used americolor sheen colors mixed with water. I noticed drying of the fondant while I'm kneading it this past 2 months. I would probably get satin ice fondant for the wedding cake.

Hope some people will educate me more.

thank you.

jillangel Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:12pm
post #7 of 7

I also use the Americolor sheen airbrush colors but I don't add water to them. I wouldn't think that would be the problem especially since that would be adding more moisture. When kneading and I get cracking I usually add a tad of Crisco sometimes water but it depends. I play with it til I get it right. I recently used Satin Ice in a figure making class. That stuff is nice! It literally feels like satin when you are working with it. I didn't taste it though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%