Number Topper

Decorating By Miffy Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 3:14am by Miffy

Miffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miffy Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,
I need to make a number 30 to put on top of a cake. I have seen heaps of cakes on CC with a number just not sure how to go about it.

Can I use MMF? I like the look of the 'rope rolled number'. Hope that makes sense! How do I attach to the cake, or do you give it to the client to put on at the last minute?

I need it in 5 days time. Have I left myself enough time??

Thanks

5 replies
Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 6

I have never tried make a number topper with MMF, so I'm not sure how "strong" that will be. I usually use either straight gumpaste or a gumpaste and fondant mix. For the "rope" type letters, if I'm thinking of the same thing you are, I roll the fondant/gumpaste into a snake shape and then form the numbers, either freehand or by following a print out from the computer. (Print out the numbers in a large font that you like and then use that as a guide by forming your number on top of the print out.) I make sure the "snake" of fondant is thick enough to insert either a wire or a skewer stick without it poking through the sides. I usually let the numbers dry for at least a day, if it's humid then longer. I have inserted the numbers before transport (the number 1 in "Faith's 1st birthday" in my gallery was inserted before the customer picked it up and it was fine during transport) and have also inserted them after delivery (Maddy/Tori's Sweet 16 in my gallery was delivered by me and I did not insert the numbers until after I arrived and set up the cake). I think it depends....

Hope that helps....

Miffy Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:54am
post #3 of 6

Thanks so much for the advice. Doing the numbers 3 and 0 will be tricky. Do I insert the skewers up the sides of the 0?

kakealicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakealicious Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:35am
post #4 of 6

I just recently did an 85 for this cake and it was really easy to do. All I did was roll out a long piece of gumpaste and formed it how I wanted and inserted toothpicks on the bottom. I let it set for two days. After a day I poked it into a piece of styrofoam and the 8 fell over cause it wasn't dry yet inside. But, I had enough time to fix it. I guess you could make it out of fondant but it's going to take at least 4 or 5 days to dry depending on the humidity but it won't be as sturdy as gumpaste. I made mine with the little curled ends but you can do what ever you like. This link has some different types of numbers that you can go by.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=61810

I also cut down a toothpick and inserted it into the bottom just so it would give it some stability once I went to put it on the cake, but I also used royal icing to adhere it and after letting it set after an hour or so it was rock solid.
LL

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:37am
post #5 of 6

Yes, you could insert the skewers up the sides of the 0...what I did with the number 6 in my Maddy& Tori's Sweet 16 cake is I put the skewer in at an angle where the curve was so that it didn't poke through. I'm not sure if this makes sense...

I also found the photo below online, of a cake with a #30 topper. It is from "bluecakecompany" (love her work!!). Notice how she put "bubbles" around the numbers. I'm thinking the bubbles are probably hiding any wire or skewer that may be showing. You try something like that, or put flowers, etc. in similar places where the numbers meet the top of the cake.
LL

Miffy Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:14am
post #6 of 6

Thanks to you all. I might put some gumtex in my MMF to make it harder. Fingers crossed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%