Gerbera Cutter

Decorating By jiggy14 Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 4:20pm by jiggy14

jiggy14 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 5

Can somebody help me please!!
I have just got the large PME gerbera cutter and it is driving me insane!
The instructions say to cut out the flower without using the plunger then to press down the plunger on a flat surface to make the veins, then to press the plunger again to release the flower.
Well.......
If I dont press hard enough in the first place the cutter cuts the flower but leaves it on the surface. If I do press hard enough to keep the flower in the cutter then after I have pressed down to do the veins it wont come out at all and stays stuck!!
I managed to get 2 that looked ok and I left them to harden in a slightly curved shape but as soon as I went to put them onto the cake they just fell apart icon_cry.gif I've tried rolling the sugarpaste thin and rolling it thicker.

Is there a trick to using this cutter????

Thanks
Gayle

4 replies
Bluehue Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 5

I usually roll my *medium* out to about 1/8" thick - - let it sit for about 2 minutes - then cut my flowers out.

Don't ask why but some days i can just rip through them - and others welllllll they want to get stuck and make me icon_cry.gif
When that happens i press down around the circle part of the cutter and then press down on the actual plunger part - if that makes sense... icon_confused.gif

I leave them on my board for another 3 minutes or so - then using a wide spatular i lift them to another drying board/foam mat.

Might you need to add a littlle plain flour onto the bench and just dab your cutter in that each time you go to do a flower? Then just shake the cutter to get rid of the excess - plus it can be brushed of later.
Is the weather very warm where you are?
Is there high humidty?

All of these things can have an affect on the outcome.
I am just thrilled it is Autumm here - as it makes for easier handling and working conditions.

IFFFFF when you cut your flower and it stays on the bench - thats ok really
Just press down on the plunger before you even begin to move the whole plunger cutter - then move onto the next one - by the time you have cut out a few you can then move them with a spatular.

Hope this helps
Welcome to CC by the way - icon_biggrin.gif

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

peg818 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 5

well, i do it a bit differently. I cut my paste rolled a little thicker then for regular flowers. move the cutter around in a circle so that you know that each petal is cut and the flower is not stuck to the board. I then flip the whole cutter over with the paste on top and run my finger over the edges to make sure i have a clean cut (takes a bit longer but then i don't have any clean up to do with all those little petals) then dust the surface and flip cutter/paste back over and vein with the plunger down pull up if the paste doesnt fall off, flip back over and carefully peal away.

I know this sounds like a lot of work but they will cruise right along once you get your rhythm

all4cake Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 5

Proof that everyone does what works for them...

I roll my gumpaste/fondant on the thinner side. Lift rolled sheet and dust area, lightly, with cornstarch. Lay rolled sheet on dusted area. Lightly dust surface of rolled paste with cornstarch (or pearl/lustre dust if desired). Place cutter on surface of rolled paste and press firmly on flange area of cutter (on the first one, I usually give it a slight back and forth twisting motion to make sure it won't stick). Then, with the cutter still on the flower just cut, press on plunger firmly to leave impression. To insure a clean cut, lightly grease the cutter edge only...don't get the grease on the impression area...a small brush will help get the grease in the small crevices/points of the cutter.

jiggy14 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for your replies icon_smile.gif
I feel better now that I have a few options to try out!
Bluehue, I am in the UK and it is definately not hot here today haha! so I dont think that is the problem.
Thanks again everyone, I will go an have another go icon_biggrin.gif

Gayle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%