3D Cake On Sheet Cake

Decorating By ChiweenieChic Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 1:30pm by noyhoward

ChiweenieChic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChiweenieChic Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 4

I am doing a Thomas the train cake and I am using the Wilton 3D train pan. I am going to set it on top of a sheet cake, however I am unsure that it will stay on and not topple over. Should I put the train on cardboard and then attach to the bottom cake with a wooden dowel? Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

3 replies
bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 4

I guess it depends how high and wide it is. I put a micky mouse head(in my pics) made with 2 6 8 in rounds and set them on their side on top of a sheet and traveled with it and it did fine but it was probably 4 inches of base I had. I did cut a piece of cardboard out and attatch it to the bottom of the head (I cut a small piece off each round to flatten it so it would sit better) and used dowels because the icing adds so much weight to it. But the books I put on top of my grad cakes (in my pics ) didnt have dowels under them and they did fine.

ncox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncox Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 4

I would put cardboard underneath the train cake and use dowels to support the weight. You can build the bottom out with icing to give it more support so it will not topple over. HTH!

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 4

I did a Thomas sheet cake & a 6" round on top,a ladybug cake on top of 10" cake.Both of them I used dowels & cake board under it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%