"mannequin" For Dress Cake?

Decorating By MLand Updated 28 Apr 2017 , 12:38pm by kyliecake

MLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLand Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:23am
post #1 of 13

Where do you get the torso for the dress cakes? Do you just "dismember" a barbie? Sorry I don't know how to pull or attach one from CC for this question.

12 replies
bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:29am
post #2 of 13

They sell the top of the doll at Michaels. I don't know where you are but if you have a Michaels Crafts store near you, go there and see if they have any. It's just the torso without the legs...there is a pick at the bottom that you would stick into the cake. I believe if you look around online you can find them at cake supply shops too...order them and BANG...there's your doll...without having to do surgery on an actual barbie.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:42am
post #3 of 13

I'm not sure but I think Wilton sells it. I heard that people just cover it with fondant/gumpaste. I made one (in my photos) made of RKT. It's a bit bigger though.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:45am
post #4 of 13

I saw a tutorial where they "dismembered" a doll and covered it with black fondant. very pretty.

MLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLand Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:49am
post #5 of 13

Thanks, fellow CCers. I was thinking of trying one but wasn't sure about killing a barbie! LOL

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:56am
post #6 of 13

she will *die* a worthy death LOL I think if I ever make one I'll get a cheap doll. I can't bear killing Barbie, I love them way too much.

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 9:21am
post #7 of 13

I've made one before. I just took a wilton doll pick and cut off the head and arms. Than I covered it in black fondant.

P.S. I kneaded corn syrup into the fondant to make it easier to cover the doll pick in fondant.

its in my pictures , hope it helps icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla1505

I've made one before. I just took a wilton doll pick and cut off the head and arms. Than I covered it in black fondant.

P.S. I kneaded corn syrup into the fondant to make it easier to cover the doll pick in fondant.

That is so good to know! I thought people were buying those headless/armless body forms from somewhere. Thanks for sharing! Your little dress cake is beautiful!

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla1505

That is so good to know! I thought people were buying those headless/armless body forms from somewhere. Thanks for sharing! Your little dress cake is beautiful!

you welcome, I'm glad I could help.

I did feel like a pycho when I was sawing off the head and arms though. lol

hotubcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hotubcake Posted 26 Apr 2017 , 2:26pm
post #10 of 13

Dollar store "barbie" dismantled and covered in black fondant

lark6209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lark6209 Posted 26 Apr 2017 , 5:08pm
post #11 of 13

Yep, Dollar Tree fake Barbie for $ 1.00, dismembered and covered in black fondant.  Gave the clothes and shoes away.  I  used a ball of fondant and a skewer to serve as the pick.  

Shaz1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaz1984 Posted 27 Apr 2017 , 7:19pm
post #12 of 13

hello! I made a princess cake for my daughter a few years ago. I made the dress bottom aka..the cake .. tall enough to come up to a barbie's waist , cut a hole in the middle of all the cakes & stood the barbie up in it. I covered the bottom of the barbie in plastic wrap first. There was a small gap at the top of the cake that was easily filled it with icing or fondant. this way my daughter got to keep & play with the doll. wink

kyliecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyliecake Posted 28 Apr 2017 , 12:38pm
post #13 of 13

I do the same as Shaz1984. I just wrap the bottom half of barbie and make a hole in the cake. Why waste a doll if you don't have to? The birthday child might as well get to enjoy the cake and the doll!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%