"mannequin" For Dress Cake?

Decorating By MLand Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 5:09pm by kayla1505

MLand Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:23am
post #1 of 9

Where do you get the torso for the dress cakes? Do you just "dismember" a barbie? Sorry I don't know how to pull or attach one from CC for this question.

8 replies
bakermommy4 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:29am
post #2 of 9

They sell the top of the doll at Michaels. I don't know where you are but if you have a Michaels Crafts store near you, go there and see if they have any. It's just the torso without the legs...there is a pick at the bottom that you would stick into the cake. I believe if you look around online you can find them at cake supply shops too...order them and BANG...there's your doll...without having to do surgery on an actual barbie.

Rylan Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:42am
post #3 of 9

I'm not sure but I think Wilton sells it. I heard that people just cover it with fondant/gumpaste. I made one (in my photos) made of RKT. It's a bit bigger though.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:45am
post #4 of 9

I saw a tutorial where they "dismembered" a doll and covered it with black fondant. very pretty.

MLand Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:49am
post #5 of 9

Thanks, fellow CCers. I was thinking of trying one but wasn't sure about killing a barbie! LOL

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:56am
post #6 of 9

she will *die* a worthy death LOL I think if I ever make one I'll get a cheap doll. I can't bear killing Barbie, I love them way too much.

kayla1505 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 9:21am
post #7 of 9

I've made one before. I just took a wilton doll pick and cut off the head and arms. Than I covered it in black fondant.

P.S. I kneaded corn syrup into the fondant to make it easier to cover the doll pick in fondant.

its in my pictures , hope it helps icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla1505

I've made one before. I just took a wilton doll pick and cut off the head and arms. Than I covered it in black fondant.

P.S. I kneaded corn syrup into the fondant to make it easier to cover the doll pick in fondant.

That is so good to know! I thought people were buying those headless/armless body forms from somewhere. Thanks for sharing! Your little dress cake is beautiful!

kayla1505 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla1505

That is so good to know! I thought people were buying those headless/armless body forms from somewhere. Thanks for sharing! Your little dress cake is beautiful!

you welcome, I'm glad I could help.

I did feel like a pycho when I was sawing off the head and arms though. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%