Pearl Dust Wash?

Baking By giraffe11 Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 1:12am by giraffe11

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:43am
post #1 of 6

What is the best way to apply an all over pearl dust for sheen on decorated sugar cookies? I did crown cookies.....very large (5-6"). I decorated them with white on white and wanted to give them an all over pearl wash. I made a pretty watery solution with vodka and the dust and painted on with a small decorator's brush. It worked kinda........some of the detail work got too wet in the process and was kind of washed away. Should I have used a larger brush? Is there a better techniqu to use? Thanks ahead of time for any advice.
Heather

5 replies
andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 6:06am
post #2 of 6

Others might have better ideas, but I always just dry brush the pearl dust onto the decorated cookies and it always works great. I just pour my left over dust back into the bottle.

giraffe11 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 6

Does it stick well enough when you dry dust it on? I am using royal icing. Once it's dry, it diesn't seem sticky at all.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 6

The dry dust will stick, no problem. It really just depends what look you are going for.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 6

I like using a large blush style brush and dusting the cookies. It eliminates the watery gooey mess that can happen with vodka and eliminates brush stroke stripes. HTH

giraffe11 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:12am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try it this way next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%