My First Cake Pics For This Site!!!!!

Decorating By IDoCakesinTX Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 2:58am by IDoCakesinTX

IDoCakesinTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IDoCakesinTX Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:11am
post #1 of 18

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I wanted to share! Some pics of my first cake in a LONG time. I used to do cakes several years ago, but now as a SAHM, I've decided to pick it up again. This is the first cake in a while. It's for a friend's little girl's 2nd birthday party.

Used Sugar Shack's icing and technique. Not bad, I didn't have fondant smoothers and lacked alot of tools, since I'm just getting back into this.

All butter cream w/ hand made fondant palm trees, octopus, crab, flip flops, etc. Plunger flowers. Let's see if I can get these pics to post....
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

17 replies
jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 18

That cake is soooo cute. What a perfect summer time cake. I LOVE your little figures and all of the details (pail, flip-flops...) add so much. I am sure everyone loved this cake and just might start asking "do you sell your cakes" before you know it. Good luck building up a collection of tool and cake goodies. I know many "must haves" aren't cheap! icon_cry.gif

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 18

I'm a huge fan of ocean cakes!!! Your's is so beautiful and the details are incredible.

Good for you for posting pix. Now if I could only get the nerve to post some of mine icon_smile.gif

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 18

Very cute cake!Great job!

itscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itscake Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 18

Great Job!!! I just started last year....Now I am trying to find space to store all the supplies....it really is addictive!!!!!!!!!!!and fattening!!!!!!!! lol

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 18

love all your little creatures-such personalities in them i'm sure it was a huge hit!! (on a side what is SAHM?)

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:51pm
post #7 of 18

It looks cute. I love the palm trees and the figures. Good job on this one.

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellesArt

love all your little creatures-such personalities in them i'm sure it was a huge hit!! (on a side what is SAHM?)

SAHM---Stay At Home Mom

Here is a list a CC abbreviations:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

icon_biggrin.gif K'ly

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 18

I love your cake. The blue icing is fabulous!!! You sure didn't lose any skills in your down-time. There are several great people on here that sell tools, dvd's etc...

Two of my favs are: Sugarshack and JenniferMI. They are both so informative and super nice thumbs_up.gif

Ebay is also a great place to purchase stuff.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:11pm
post #10 of 18

so cute..it looks HUGE!

IDoCakesinTX Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:33pm
post #11 of 18

Thanks so much everyone for the kind words!!!! I really appreciate it!!!! She just picked up the cake and LOVED it!!!!

Also, while standing in my house, she called her regular 'cake lady' and cancelled 2 ordered and gave them to me!!!!!!! ACCCCCKKKKKK! I am thrilled!!!!

One is for a Fiesta Themed couple's shower in 2 weeks for 100 people!!!! The other for her nephews b-day party next month!!!!

I own all of Sugar Shack's DVDs and have learned SO much from them!

I also get SOOO many idea from this site....including that little crab.....not sure whose pic it was, but thanks if 'you' see this!!!!

Yes, it was a HUGE cake....only to serve 40....but I didn't level my cakes as I should.... I STINK at leveling free hand and until I can afford an Agbay, my cakes are gonna have to be sky high!

On another note....how much would YOU have charged for this? She paid me $30 to cover ingredients (I insisted no more icon_redface.gif )......b/c I wasn't sure if my skills would be 'good' enough.....

IDoCakesinTX Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:35pm
post #12 of 18

Sorry about all the typos and misspells above....NAK....

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 6:28pm
post #13 of 18

I love the octopus and the crab! They are so cute!! Welcome back to the world of cake decorating!

Madiken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madiken Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:25pm
post #14 of 18

Awesome cake! I LOVE the little sea creatures!

eggsnbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eggsnbakin Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:08pm
post #15 of 18

$30?! No wonder she is cancelling with the other decorator and going with you! But seriously, if that is okay with you, then to each their own. I know sometimes decorators don't charge much because they don't feel like they are professionals, etc. etc. BUT on this cake...I don't know the exact size of it, however from the looks of the pic you probably paid more than $30 in ingredients...not to mention time. I just charged my COUSIN $50 yesterday for this cake and it doesn't have near the detail yours does, nor is it as big. And after the party, I felt like I should have charged her more, because I didn't realize I was going to have to stand there and serve it because everyone is so afraid of cutting cake for some reason!

HTH
LL

IDoCakesinTX Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:54pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggsnbakin

$30?! No wonder she is cancelling with the other decorator and going with you! But seriously, if that is okay with you, then to each their own. I know sometimes decorators don't charge much because they don't feel like they are professionals, etc. etc. BUT on this cake...I don't know the exact size of it, however from the looks of the pic you probably paid more than $30 in ingredients...not to mention time. I just charged my COUSIN $50 yesterday for this cake and it doesn't have near the detail yours does, nor is it as big. And after the party, I felt like I should have charged her more, because I didn't realize I was going to have to stand there and serve it because everyone is so afraid of cutting cake for some reason!

HTH

I COMPLETELY agree!!!! The little girl whose b-day it was, is a friend of my sons. This was my 'gift'...and she paid me $30. It was agreed upon several weeks ago that this was a 'practice' cake and that I didn't want to charge her full price. HOWEVER, I told her that I do want to do this as a biz, and that if anyone asks, the cake above would have been $100-$115.

I put A TON of time into all the figures...the ingredients easily were $40....you're right!

Thanks again for your input, I just don't want to out price myself!

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:21am
post #17 of 18

Your cake looks great. I love the details. Yes you definitely could charge more but I understand your reasoning in this case. Seriously how tall was it? It looks about 6 or 7 inches high! I love your palm trees. I had a terrible time keeping mine up when I made a similar cake. Are yours all fondant and how are they anchored into the cake?

IDoCakesinTX Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:58am
post #18 of 18

It was about 5 inches high....but I have to admit...I LOVE a tall cake.....it just looks so 'stable' and 'chunky'....I like that look.

My trees were pretzel rods covered in fondant mixed w/ tylose. My leaves were tylose and fondant and 'glued' onto the trunk w/ candy melts. Since my cake was so deep, I just shoved the trees in pretty deep.....one of them started leaning, so I piped some candy melts into the cake the direction it was leaning and that seemed to help........I'm going to have a 'de-briefing' w/ my friend has to how the cake stood up to the heat (100 degree temps and the party was outdoors)....so we'll see if that tree continued to lean......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%