Awwwww Man My Pound Cake Was Gummy Inside :(

Decorating By AntBee Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 2:52pm by floridagal

AntBee Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:00am
post #1 of 9

Why did that happen?

It was baked perfectly on the outside, but when I cut it it had a gummy center, which looked like it did not bake.

What did I do wrong? Could it have been oven temp? I baked it at just a tad under 325 degrees for about 1 hour and fifteen min.

I was so disapointed because otherwise the cake had a delicious flavor. and all around the gummy looking part the crumb was excellent!

HELP icon_smile.gif

8 replies
leah_s Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:16am
post #2 of 9

Well, it simply wasn't baked long enough. Did you toothpick it?

AntBee Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:30am
post #3 of 9

Yes!

I did test with a toothpick, but maybe I did not go ddin far enough. The caked looked done and was pulling away from the side of the pan, so I assumed it was baked/cooked throughout.

It had no dips or other signs on the outside that it was not completely baked.

Ok, thanks so much I will bake it longer next time.

icon_smile.gif

post #4 of 9

Yes!

I did test with a toothpick, but maybe I did not go ddin far enough. The caked looked done and was pulling away from the side of the pan, so I assumed it was baked/cooked throughout.

icon_smile.gif

post #5 of 9

Yes!

icon_smile.gif

requel Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:18am
post #6 of 9

What I use is a long tooth pick or I purchased a new cake toy the tip turns all red when the cake or bread is done great tool.

Rylan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:49am
post #7 of 9

requel where did you purchase that?

cakeymom Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 9

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you don't already know this, the pound cake is the toughest cake to make with consistency.

There are so many things that, if not done properly will cause your results and the following are a few:

Too much sugar
Not properly aerated
Too much liquid - eggs, milk, etc.

It has taken me years to perfect my pound cake recipe. I did plenty of research in the library, on the internet, and then just plain trial and error.

I finally am able to make a cake that the crust doesn't fall off of, is moist and not gummy or heavy, has a nice crumb, and excellent flavor each and every time.

So, just practice, practice, practice.

thumbs_up.gif cakeymom

floridagal Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:52pm
post #9 of 9

This might be an odd request but we like a heavy streak in our pound cake! I've been wondering how to achieve this, especially for my sister. What would your suggestions be? There's nothing better than a homemade pound cake! I've got a great recipe, just want to add that heavy streak!

TIA icon_biggrin.gif
Melissa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%