The Annoying Guy At The Delivery Today

Business By costumeczar Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 11:03pm by MichelleM77

costumeczar Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:10am
post #1 of 18

I delivered a cake today that I needed to set up at the reception site, and I was pestered the entire time by some guy who was on the waitstaff for the event. I think he was supposed to be setting up tables, but he came over and started twenty questions with me about the cake...Did you make the cake? How long did it take you to make that? Are you finishing it? Is that stuff edible? What are you doing? Do you have to fix that? icon_surprised.gif

I had to go back to the car to get something, and when I came back he was still hanging around with more questions! He finally got tired of my monosyllabic answers, and left, but then he came back out. I heard him yell from across the room "You're still here!" as he came trotting over. Then he says "are you a nurse?" icon_confused.gif I said no, and he said "Oh, I thought you were wearing scrubs, never mind." (I had a blue shirt and jeans on, I guess the single color was confusing to him.) At one point he actually sat down and made himself comfortable, I guess to keep up his strength for asking me more questions.

I actually feel sorry for the people this guy has to work with. Can you imagine being on an eight-hour shift with him? Ten minutes was enough for me!

But I have to add that the saddest part of the whole thing was the while he was peppering me with questions, I kept thinking that I couldn't wait to to post about how annoying he was on CC! icon_lol.gif

17 replies
all4cake Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:20am
post #2 of 18

LOL@

But I have to add that the saddest part of the whole thing was the while he was peppering me with questions, I kept thinking that I couldn't wait to to post about how annoying he was on CC!

kakeladi Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:20am
post #3 of 18

Don't be too hard on him, he might have been one who has an IQ of a child.
Yes, they can be annoying but smile and be nice.....it will come back to you in the future.

I remember one time I was not feeling well at all and had to set up a big (maybe 5 tier?) cake. It was all I could do to get it done and not upchuck all over it. The caretaker of the hall was somewhat like that - only he kept saying something about I should smile - it was such a nice day! icon_sad.gif
It was years later, after having many such days, that I realized I was having a panic attack.

bamberc Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:29am
post #4 of 18

Perhaps he is interested in going into this line of work someday, and he was asking you all the questions he has always wondered-working at a special events facility he probably sees many beautiful cakes, and felt comfortable enought to ask you about yours! icon_smile.gif

When I saw the subject of your post I expected to read something REALLY annoying! icon_razz.gif

PattyT Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:40am
post #5 of 18

I sympathize with you 100% !! I just set up for a family baby shower - several elements: cupcake tower, small cake & topper, plus miniature treats. Mom-to-Be's neice (about 8 yrs old) was all over, trying to "help", asking questions...I almost tripped over her twice...all I want to do is focus on setting up and making sure all's OK, not answer 20 questions. After I'm finished, ask..not while I'm busy!!

Same family last year at a graduation. One guy had too many bad jokes and too much beer. He screams out..."oh, the cake fell over" har har har. Then loudly says "he she's not laughing"... to which I embarrassed my husband by replying, "when something is funny, I'll laugh".

Don't really know what to say about your guy costume_czar, but agree it's a pain!

costumeczar Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:13am
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Don't be too hard on him, he might have been one who has an IQ of a child.
Yes, they can be annoying but smile and be nice.....it will come back to you in the future.

I did think about that afterward, but this guy was just really chatty, not low IQ...He was carrying on his end of the conversation (?) fine, it's just that his end was most of it! I get just as annoyed if my husband comes in while I'm working and interrupts my "cake groove."

indydebi Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:45am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I did think about that afterward, but this guy was just really chatty, not low IQ...

I was cracking up reading it because this sounded EXACTLY like someone who worked for me (notice the past tense usage, there!)

EVERYTHING I did or said, she thought it was her business to quiz me on it. SHe thought it was her business to know. She's chit chat with employees when we set up a catering at a business (I guess she never learned the rule about "you need to be invisible ... be there when needed; be out of the way when you're not"). I was afraid to tell her I was going to the bathroom because I wouldn't have time to answer the 27 questions she'd have .... I end up peeing my pants while she quizzed me!

I feel yo' pain, sista!! thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:51pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I did think about that afterward, but this guy was just really chatty, not low IQ...

I was cracking up reading it because this sounded EXACTLY like someone who worked for me (notice the past tense usage, there!)

EVERYTHING I did or said, she thought it was her business to quiz me on it. SHe thought it was her business to know. She's chit chat with employees when we set up a catering at a business (I guess she never learned the rule about "you need to be invisible ... be there when needed; be out of the way when you're not"). I was afraid to tell her I was going to the bathroom because I wouldn't have time to answer the 27 questions she'd have .... I end up peeing my pants while she quizzed me!

I feel yo' pain, sista!! thumbs_up.gif

It sounds like she would have followed you to the bathroom and asked what you were doing in there!

indydebi Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:19pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:

It sounds like she would have followed you to the bathroom and asked what you were doing in there!

Can we anticipate such questions as:
"How many squares do you use? Do use use toilet paper front to back or back to front? Do you zip up after you flush or before? Why? How come? It is easier? Why is it easier? When is the next time you're going to the bathroom?"

Rylan Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:25pm
post #10 of 18

WOW

He is either messing with you or he was just born that way.

varika Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm
post #11 of 18

I have found that the easiest way to deal with people like that--having once been one and still ocassionally having the slipping back into that stage--is to say, firmly but without anger, "I'm sorry, I really need to concentrate on this, please. I can't answer your questions right now." It might hurt their feelings a little bit, but without the feedback that they're being annoying/rude/in the way, they'll never really learn when to shut up.

In this particular case, if the guy was supposed to be setting up tables, he might even have been talking to you so that he could use the excuse, "I was helping the cake lady set up!" when asked why he wasn't doing HIS OWN job... icon_rolleyes.gif

sari66 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:04pm
post #12 of 18

LOLOLOL reminds Me of my 4 yo nephew.

crazycaker Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:53pm
post #13 of 18

The worst set-up I had was when the "uncle" of the bride (hanging around the reception hall, skipping the ceremony), um....handled me...while I was setting up the cake. Yeah.

Then the DJ took a big finger-full of frosting off the back of the cake.

Yuck.

costumeczar Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:28pm
post #14 of 18

[quote="crazycaker"]The worst set-up I had was when the "uncle" of the bride (hanging around the reception hall, skipping the ceremony), um....handled me...while I was setting up the cake. Yeah. quote]

EEEEEEWWWWW! icon_eek.gif

varika Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:07pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycaker

The worst set-up I had was when the "uncle" of the bride (hanging around the reception hall, skipping the ceremony), um....handled me...while I was setting up the cake. Yeah.

Then the DJ took a big finger-full of frosting off the back of the cake.

Yuck.

....dude, I would have had the cops on the uncle before finishing the cake up. icon_confused.gif That's just CREEPY.

The DJ should have his hand smacked with a wooden spoon, too. Why do people think it's permissible to do that? Honestly.

crazycaker Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:45pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:

EEEEEEWWWWW! icon_eek.gif

Awwwww...thanks guys. Yeah, it was creepy --- horribly so. I was lifiting up the second tier, and centering it when I realized what was happening.

Now, when I go to venues, I have more of an "attitude." Not harsh, but I don't try to convey "sweet and friendly" -- more crisp, professional, and a little bit fierce.

Anyway, back to the original topic: yeah, I wonder if he was just "hiding out" to get out of work, too.

FromScratch Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:40pm
post #17 of 18

LOL.. it reminds me of those comercials that are playing now with the puppets of Lebron James and Kobe Bryant... the one with the little kis asking a gazillion questions. icon_lol.gif

Just give him the friendly ignore...

MichelleM77 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:03pm
post #18 of 18

I'm still a newbie, so when I go anywhere with a cake or cookies, I'm flattered with all of the questions and ooohs and ahhs. Guess I have a lot to learn. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%