Tried Glow In The Dark...not Impressed!

Decorating By missyd4e Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 12:02am by missyd4e

missyd4e Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 13

So, I tried the glow in the dark on my lightsaber cake (not posted yet, waiting for pictures) and I am not impressed at all.
The lightsaber part of the cake was covered in fondant that was tinted with sky blue. I bought a black light and my white royal icing definately glowed under the light but my lightsaber did not.
Has anybody else tried this and had success????

12 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 13

What medium is it? Fondant?

KoryAK Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:47am
post #3 of 13

Did you do anything to the blue fondant to expect it to glow? Are you referring to the glow in the dark technique from Last Cake Standing? She used tonic water or something to make that happen...

missyd4e Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 13

I mixed piping gel and tonic water (like on last cake standing) and brushed it on to the light part of the light saber. I also mixed white into the piping gel to pipe on the board of the cake. The white showed up beautifully under the black light, but, white always does. Anyway, just wondering if anybody out there had better succes than me.

mackeymom Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 13

Let us know when the pics are up!

sadsmile Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 13

I wondered about that bitter quinine stuff in piping gel. My son's B-day this summer might be at a bowling alley that does a black light cosmic bowling. I was thinking it would be pretty cool if the cake glowed. But not if it tastes bad from it. Would White RI glow?

missyd4e Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

I wondered about that bitter quinine stuff in piping gel. My son's B-day this summer might be at a bowling alley that does a black light cosmic bowling. I was thinking it would be pretty cool if the cake glowed. But not if it tastes bad from it. Would White RI glow?

It did not taste bitter. I read that if you dilute it 1/2 tonic with 1/2 water it pretty much gets rid of the bitter taste. The White RI really did glow nicley!

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 13

So is it a true glow-in-the-dark, or do you need a blacklight for it to work?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 13

maybe diluting it really reduced it's glowing ability.

missyd4e Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

So is it a true glow-in-the-dark, or do you need a blacklight for it to work?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

It needs a black light. You can buy a black light light bulb at home depot. My ended up costing $5.

missyd4e Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:58pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

maybe diluting it really reduced it's glowing ability.

I actually forgot to dilute it when i used it. icon_redface.gif

sadsmile Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:51pm
post #12 of 13

maybe Mary used something else.

missyd4e Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:02am
post #13 of 13

I probably don't have the dilution ration correct either. Oh well, it was fun trying.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%