What To Charge For Kitchen Sheet Cakes?

Baking By cocobean Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 2:50am by KoryAK

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 7

I had a gal ask if I do kitchen sheet cakes. I told her I could but was hoping she wouldn't ask how much because I'm not sure what to charge. I know this has been discussed. I would love some suggestions or a link to read if possible. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:08am
post #2 of 7

I would charge the same per serving as a wedding cake..Period..You want 200 servings....you pay X amount of dollars per serving...That's it..There's my price!! Just because they are in the kitchen..you still have to bake,torte fill and decorate a kitchen cake as well..Maybe not as extravagant as the wedding cake but you still have to decorate it! I charge $3.00 per serving but that depends on where you live.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:45am
post #3 of 7

Me I charge $3.50 ps for kitchen cakes - they are iced but not decorated, not even borders. My tiered cake charge is $7.25 ps. My party cakes range from $2.60-4 ps as a base price.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:54am
post #4 of 7

I would charge the same because I dont' want to screw around with them. I say "would" charge, because when I tell the bride they are the same price, she goes with just a regular wedding cake.

The reason is because I'm not going to do extra work for less money. Here are the numbers:

A 3-tier cake to serve 150 is baked in 8/12/14 pans.
A 3-tier cake to serve 100 is baked in 6/10/12 pans.

So if they want cake for 150, with part of it being a sheet or kitchen cake, then I have to bake the 3 tiers AND bake the sh.eet(s). It's just as fast to bake/decorate a 3-tier for 150 as it is for 100, so I just refuse to spend more money on electricity to bake the extra cake, more money on all that extra icing for the sheet, more labor on the extra time to ice 4 cakes instead of just 3.

Not. Doing. It.

And most brides are good with it. Once they see they can have a grand centerpiece wedding cake for the same price as they can get a dinky cake witih secret sheets hidden in the back, they go with the big cake.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:20am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I would charge the same because I dont' want to screw around with them. I say "would" charge, because when I tell the bride they are the same price, she goes with just a regular wedding cake.

The reason is because I'm not going to do extra work for less money. Here are the numbers:

A 3-tier cake to serve 150 is baked in 8/12/14 pans.
A 3-tier cake to serve 100 is baked in 6/10/12 pans.

So if they want cake for 150, with part of it being a sheet or kitchen cake, then I have to bake the 3 tiers AND bake the sh.eet(s). It's just as fast to bake/decorate a 3-tier for 150 as it is for 100, so I just refuse to spend more money on electricity to bake the extra cake, more money on all that extra icing for the sheet, more labor on the extra time to ice 4 cakes instead of just 3.

Not. Doing. It.

And most brides are good with it. Once they see they can have a grand centerpiece wedding cake for the same price as they can get a dinky cake witih secret sheets hidden in the back, they go with the big cake.

Hmm...I never thought about it like that. I just always thought plain cake, less work, less money. But now that I see it from your point of view, your way makes sense!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:25am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I just always thought plain cake, less work, less money.

I also don't charge for most design elements, so if you get a "plain" 3-tier cake with just a ribbon and scrolls or if you get a 3-tier cake with 27 bc roses cascading down the basketweaved sides, it's all the same price. Since I dont' charge extra for design, then there's nothing to deduct for "plain".

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:50am
post #7 of 7

See, I DO upcharge for additional design items so for me it is plain cake, less time, less money. I also sell party cakes special order and here in my shop. What is to stop them from ordering one of those if I don't do kitchen cakes?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%