Help Please...white Buttercream With Black Accents

Decorating By moniquerei Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 8:10pm by indydebi

moniquerei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moniquerei Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 5

Hi...I am doing my largest shower cake ever and a little nervous. I am using white buttercream with black buttercream accents. My concern is that the black accents will belld into the white buttercream. Do you think this will be an issue if I decroate the cake tonight for a 1pm shower tomorrow? What if I refrigerate it??

Please any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!!

4 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 5

You'll be fine!! I'm a total novice at caking, and I did it just a few days ago with no problems. See the music score cake in my photos. I did have mine in the frig, because it was cream cheese frosting. I was just doing it for free for a friend, so they insisted on donating $100 to my church's transitional housing program in my honor. I was absolutely speechless!!!!

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:40am
post #3 of 5

you will be fine....let the buttercream crust, smooth it with paper towel and decorate away....do not refrigerate or freeze....the only time i every had any bleeding with black or red was once when i froze a cake and it thawed in my classroom at school, unairconditioned, the cake sweated.

check out my picture we use a lot of red and black since those are the colors for the school i teach at.

we do our cakes often on thursday evening for a sat or sunday even, they are wonderful, as long as your cake is great to start with. i am not a newbie, 30 plus years.

good luck.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 5

If you left the cake at room temperature the whole time, it would take about a week for it to start to bleed. I only know this because that's how long it took for the black frosting to bleed on my graduation display cakes.

But as hammer1 says, if you refrigerate/freeze it and thaw it out, the black will bleed right away.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 5

Agree with the do not refrigerate/freeze. Bleeding is a result of moisture moving from the colored icing onto the white icing. When you remove a cold item from the refrigerator and place it in a warmer climate (room temp), then condensation forms, and that moisture will move around, pulling the color with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%