Wedding Cake-When Do I Start?

Decorating By lmpreis Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 5:47pm by jonahsmom

lmpreis Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 4

I have a wedding to do and it will be my first. Do I bake the cakes this weekend and then freeze them. Then on about wed. take them out and give them a crumb coating, then Thurs and Frid decorate them? or Am I better of baking them Thursday and decorating them Thursday and Friday? I am a beginner so I want to be able to allow as much time as possible. Also the last time I froze them, I had problems with the frosting wanting to fall off so I am not sure what to do. HELP!
I have several tiers to do plus the grooms cake.

3 replies
jonahsmom Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 4

Keeping in mind that I'm pretty new to this, the wedding cake I just did (16, 12, icon_cool.gif had a schedule like this:

Baked Sunday (1 wk ahead), wrapped VERY well and put in freezer. Wednesday night pulled them out of the freezer and filled and crumbcoated FROZEN...they were MUCH easier to handle than would've been otherwise. Let them set out overnight and did final icing, smoothing Thursday. I used an impression mat for the scrolls and to get spacing for dots - I did that Thursday after things and crusted over. Then on Friday I stacked and did the red details. Cake due today (Saturday).

The one I did for my grandparents (50th anniversary cake in my pics) I did the crumbcoat, final coat and accents all in one day and STRESSED MYSELF OUT!!! Spreading out the timeline helped so I didn't have to stay up until 4 am to get it done and I didn't want to kill my husband (as much) every time he tried to talk to me this time!!!!

HTH!

lmpreis Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks! I think I will go ahead and get started on making the cakes and then freezing them.

jonahsmom Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 4

Wow I didn't know that an 8 ) put right up next to eachother made a smirky smiley face! Fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%