Sugarshack's Icing A Cake Technique???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 11:46pm by bobwonderbuns

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 14

Hi All!

I have Sharon Zambito's Buttercream icing DVD and was wondering if you can answer a question for me???

The DVD is amazing!!!! In it she ices her cakes with a small angled spatula. For you who have this DVD and use her methods, have you tried icing the cake with the Icer Tip (That HUGE tip)?? I was thinking about icing it with the large tip and following the rest of her instructions on completing the icing process. I have done it her way, but with a small spatula it takes me some time to ice the larger diameter cakes.

I was hoping someone has done this already with success. Any tips are appreciated.

Thank you,
=)

13 replies
Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 14

I am sure the icing tip would work fine but you may have to put 2 layers on it because she usually uses the coupler in a bag to put her icing on and it is pretty thisk on the top for leveling purposes.

Mikel79 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 14

=)

Thx !

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 14

Yes! I have the DVD and you are correct - it is amazing! I use the icer tip and it comes out thick enough for me! I didn't have the patience to ice with the spatula either. My cakes look sooo much better after using her methods!
I also make the "icing plugs" to refill my large bag when using the icing tip - I just hate refilling the bag! I make a mess.....
Good luckicon_smile.gif

Mikel79 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 14

Thank you Becklynn. That is encouraging news. Can you please tell me what you mean by "Icing Plugs" when refilling your bags? I am all for it, if it makes things easier!!!

=)

showersfamily4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
showersfamily4 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 14

An "icing plug" is when you put icing in a piece of saran wrap and wrap it up (with one end open) and plop it in your bag. The icing then doesn't get all over the inside of the bag, just down toward the tip.

And I use the icer tip with every cake, as well. And I use Sharon's method.

becklynn Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 14

Sure!
Take a piece of saran wrap about 12"-15" long. Put a pile of icing toward one side and roll it up. Twist both ends (kinda like a bog toosie roll). I fill up at least 3 like this. When ready to fill your bag, just cut off one end and drop it in your bag! When it runs out, remove the saran wrap and drop in another plug! I found this tip here on CC and I don't know how I ever did without it! You almost don't need to wash the bag...
Let me know if I explained it OK...

Mikel79 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 14

Becklynn and Showersfamily4,

Thank you both for the explanation. I am going to have to try this...

=)

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:52pm
post #9 of 14

This is the thread about this method, pictures and all thumbs_up.gif

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-588591.html

HTH

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:45pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mme_K

This is the thread about this method, pictures and all thumbs_up.gif

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-588591.html

HTH

Thanks Mme_K! I had forgotten about that technique. It looks like it would help keep things cleaner!

lmpreis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmpreis Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:26am
post #11 of 14

This is a great idea!!!

Doesn't the coupler get dirty?

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:20pm
post #12 of 14

You're welcome, cylstrial.
Impreis, I imagine the coupler would get dirty, somewhat, but that's still better than the messy bags I generally end up with. I have yet to try the method, since I always seem to be pressed for time when I do a cake. One of these days I'm going to have to try it, just for the fun of it. I read somewhere, that it's a great way to freeze leftover icing. Then you have it ready for another time. icon_cool.gif

becklynn Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 11:38pm
post #13 of 14

You are correct! If I have small amounts of different colors leftover, I make the plugs, and drop them into a ziploc freezer bag for later use.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 11:46pm
post #14 of 14

I'm not the biggest fan of the icer tip but sure, it would work in Sugarshack's method. One trick for filling the bag holding the icing tip -- a giant size (super stack) Pringles can!! Just plop it in there, fold the open end over the mouth of the can and fill up with icing. You never get your hands dirty that way! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%