Dinosaur Scales Fondant Embosser...something?

Decorating By laurelgale Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 11:53am by ahuvas

laurelgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurelgale Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 16

I am trying to make a dinosaur cake for a friend's bday party and I would like to cover it in fondant to get that shiny scaly effect (like on a snake). Is there something I can get like an embosser or impression mat to make it look scaly and if so, where can I find/order it? the party isn't for another week and a half so I have a little time to figure it out. Thanks!

15 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 16

I have seen people take a cake tip and press half of the tip into the fondant to create fish scales. Hope this helps.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 16

I did a fish cake recently, And i actually used a tea spoon, not like the measuring spoons, but the ones you use to stir tea with, with a more of a pointed tip, i turned it up side down, and used it to 'push into the icing' to give a fishy effect. Im sorry i dont have a pic uploaded but i do have one if you would like to see it x

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 16

I have an impression mat that looks like alligator or snake skin. I think it came from Country Kitchen SweetArt.

Hmmm.... I just checked their web site and it isn't there any more. But you could probably use a cobblestone mat to get the same effect. I think Global Sugar Art has that one.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 16

i did it wit the piping tip http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1346557
seen it on a lot of cakes, and its great, it doesnt take too long once you get into it.
xx

laurelgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurelgale Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 16

those are all such wonderful ideas! I am practicing my fondant anyway so I am going to try a couple of those techniques and see which one works best for me! This is going to be my first cake made for someone else so I appreciate all the valuable input. thumbs_up.gif

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 16

When I made my grandsons dragon cake, I cut each scale out separately, using a small and medium rose cutter. It took hours but the dragon was so large it covered the top of my washing machine! LOL

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 16

Ive also seen it done with a tip but not the side that the actual icing comes out of but the part that attachs to the coupler. It gives you perfect C's.

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:40am
post #9 of 16

I recently did a t-rex cake, and I just took an oval cutter and put each one on separately. I took two different color lustre dusts and painted every other one so that it had a neat effect. It's in my photos.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:48am
post #10 of 16

Check the dollar store for placemats, garden kneeling mats, etc. Anything that has texture. Look around your house too.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:49am
post #11 of 16

Here's a very cool tutorial for an alligator. It's in spanish but easy to understand visually as well. they use a drinking straw to texture and it looks great!
HTH!
http://www.utilisima.com/videos/tortas/modelado-de-cocodrilo/

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:32am
post #12 of 16

Chilz - I saw a similar thing with tubes of paper rolled up to various sizes and impressed all over - apply luster dust on top and presto you have crocodile skin.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:37am
post #13 of 16

yeah, I saw that somewhere also and it looked great, I completely forgot about that one!

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:44am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuvas

Chilz - I saw a similar thing with tubes of paper rolled up to various sizes and impressed all over - apply luster dust on top and presto you have crocodile skin.

I LIKE this idea ahuvas!

I was going to suggest a stone type impression mat but this tubes of paper thing might be better (and cheaper). I have a dinosaur cake to do in a couple of weeks and I might try this on it. icon_biggrin.gif

maudabom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maudabom Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 6:44am
post #15 of 16

When I made a fish cake, I just used the end of my icing spatula. It has a nice rounded end, perfect for scales.

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 11:53am
post #16 of 16

Here is the tutorial on the crocodile effect with paper tubes

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarahjj/3130508427/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%