Dinosaur Scales Fondant Embosser...something?

Decorating By laurelgale Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 11:53am by ahuvas

laurelgale Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 16

I am trying to make a dinosaur cake for a friend's bday party and I would like to cover it in fondant to get that shiny scaly effect (like on a snake). Is there something I can get like an embosser or impression mat to make it look scaly and if so, where can I find/order it? the party isn't for another week and a half so I have a little time to figure it out. Thanks!

15 replies
cylstrial Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 16

I have seen people take a cake tip and press half of the tip into the fondant to create fish scales. Hope this helps.

Caths_Cakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 16

I did a fish cake recently, And i actually used a tea spoon, not like the measuring spoons, but the ones you use to stir tea with, with a more of a pointed tip, i turned it up side down, and used it to 'push into the icing' to give a fishy effect. Im sorry i dont have a pic uploaded but i do have one if you would like to see it x

endymion Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 16

I have an impression mat that looks like alligator or snake skin. I think it came from Country Kitchen SweetArt.

Hmmm.... I just checked their web site and it isn't there any more. But you could probably use a cobblestone mat to get the same effect. I think Global Sugar Art has that one.

brincess_b Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 16

i did it wit the piping tip http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1346557
seen it on a lot of cakes, and its great, it doesnt take too long once you get into it.

laurelgale Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 16

those are all such wonderful ideas! I am practicing my fondant anyway so I am going to try a couple of those techniques and see which one works best for me! This is going to be my first cake made for someone else so I appreciate all the valuable input. thumbs_up.gif

Lady_Phoenix Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 16

When I made my grandsons dragon cake, I cut each scale out separately, using a small and medium rose cutter. It took hours but the dragon was so large it covered the top of my washing machine! LOL

weirkd Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 16

Ive also seen it done with a tip but not the side that the actual icing comes out of but the part that attachs to the coupler. It gives you perfect C's.

TheDomesticDiva Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:40am
post #9 of 16

I recently did a t-rex cake, and I just took an oval cutter and put each one on separately. I took two different color lustre dusts and painted every other one so that it had a neat effect. It's in my photos.

dsilvest Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:48am
post #10 of 16

Check the dollar store for placemats, garden kneeling mats, etc. Anything that has texture. Look around your house too.

chilz822 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:49am
post #11 of 16

Here's a very cool tutorial for an alligator. It's in spanish but easy to understand visually as well. they use a drinking straw to texture and it looks great!

ahuvas Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:32am
post #12 of 16

Chilz - I saw a similar thing with tubes of paper rolled up to various sizes and impressed all over - apply luster dust on top and presto you have crocodile skin.

chilz822 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:37am
post #13 of 16

yeah, I saw that somewhere also and it looked great, I completely forgot about that one!

kyhendry Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:44am
post #14 of 16
Originally Posted by ahuvas

Chilz - I saw a similar thing with tubes of paper rolled up to various sizes and impressed all over - apply luster dust on top and presto you have crocodile skin.

I LIKE this idea ahuvas!

I was going to suggest a stone type impression mat but this tubes of paper thing might be better (and cheaper). I have a dinosaur cake to do in a couple of weeks and I might try this on it. icon_biggrin.gif

maudabom Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 6:44am
post #15 of 16

When I made a fish cake, I just used the end of my icing spatula. It has a nice rounded end, perfect for scales.

ahuvas Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 11:53am
post #16 of 16

Here is the tutorial on the crocodile effect with paper tubes

Quote by @%username% on %date%