Bride Is Complaining (Really Really Long)

Business By jillmakescakes Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 5:49pm by indydebi

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:00pm
post #61 of 144

Please don't get upset..., but.... on the after photo, it looks like the cake is leaning to the right, not much, just slightly, but I would call it leaning.... And the groom looks like he fell over and now his head is on the bride's shoulder. Now, with all that said, your original photo - everything is as it should be- straight and level. In my limited experience, slight lean of two top tiers and groom falling over in the same direction could be a result of jolt to the table from the left sde. Otherwise, the "lean" would have had to be much more significant for the groom to fall over on his own in that manner. In any case, the after photo is not a proof of your mistake, but something that happened to the cake after you left. And even though I see the "lean," I still think no refund should be made.
Good Luck, P

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:36pm
post #62 of 144

What kind of coordinator is this? The cake was supposedly about to fall over, yet let's not say anything to the decorator who could have fixed said cake. Let's lie and say it's ok. Then when the groom figure falls over let's not take a little control and um....FIX IT!

I would just send the two photos to the bride. Note to her that many things went on around the cake like the moving of the tree, fabric on table, and laying of napkins. Anything could have happened to it after you left.

I would also forward the coordinator's email to you to her. Show her were she supposedly knew about the tipping while you were there to fix it, yet did nothing. Show her how the coordinator lied and said nothing was touched, yet the fabric was magically moved and napkins magically appeared.

Then close with a sorry no refund. You have a coordinators ok and a photo to prove you dropped it off with no issues.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:43pm
post #63 of 144

now my question is the whole point of cake isnt just the looks, but its for well, eating, no? Did they eat the cake? If so, then no refund. That is how any judge would do it.

And I agree, if they see the groom leaning, FIX IT or at least call the bakery!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:47pm
post #64 of 144

maryjsgirl ..... dang, that's good!!! thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:58pm
post #65 of 144

I must really be blind because I don't even see the groom leaning! icon_biggrin.gif

I love how the coordinator said the top is almost falling over icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif What???

No refund...................... icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:01pm
post #66 of 144

The woman is obviously deranged! Didn't you say in the first post that the bride admitted that the new hubby had something to do with the head rolling off? These people have obviously been moving stuff around and something happened to the cake. They think they can save a few bucks by making it look like you did it. Well...they can't! Send the two pictures to her along with the clause in your contract stating that you aren't responsible for things that happen afterwords. And I would tell her what the coordinator said when you left too. Looks good or whatever she said. Let us know what happens!

maramyjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maramyjo Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:34pm
post #67 of 144

Your cake is NOT leaning in either the before picture or the after picture, and if she already "confessed" that someone messed with the figures, then these pieces evidence should absolve you from any responsibility! If the so-called "coordinator" saw the cake was leaning when you put it together, why was nothing said at that time to correct it? Sounds like they are all grasping and the bride needs some quick cash (maybe overdid it on the honeymoon and you're their target!). Let her call Judge Judy, take you to court and make a fool of herself when the before and after pictures are seen to be identical. You owe her nothing! Did she give you any prior indication she could be this kind of trouble for you? Just curious. She might be trying to pull this on other vendors she used! Wish you good luck! Your cake was beautiful and deserves the high raves it is getting in all the threads!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:39pm
post #68 of 144

I really don't think it's leaning; I think that is an optical illusion caused by the plate being a bit off center. Should a refund normally be in order for a tier that is not perfectly centered? Just my opinion btw, not trying to state that my perception is the correct one icon_smile.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:43pm
post #69 of 144

This is cake is not leaning in the the pictures that you have... Now maybe some one else messed with the cake---didnt tell the bride---and wont own up to the mess!?!?! It happens more often than we know.

If Hubby messeb witht he cake and he knocked one of the heads off then it's her loss not yours. I also would have her send over the pictures of the cake to prove it was leaning. But hey when you left it wasnt and to me that spells C-A-S-E--C-L-O-S-E-D!!!

Dont refund her money and dont give her a discount. This is also known as brides-remorse!

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:08pm
post #70 of 144

Your cake is beautiful!

I would think the best way to explain the entire thing to the bride is to show her side by side photographs - and point out the differences in the photos to show the number of possibilities. When they moved the tree - did someone bump the table? When they put the napkins on the table, did they lean in toward the cake too much and bump the table? Why is the table cloth different.

You obviously cannot be held responsible for the actions of other people and the photo you took when you setup the cake looks great.

It's unfortunate that they would try to pin this on you, but you have the photos of your work and should be proud of it. Good luck.

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm
post #71 of 144

I think you did a beautiful job and the bride it just a bridezilla.

I'd just keep going on my merry ole' way. People like that need something to do. (Besides give you a headache.)

Great job!

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm
post #72 of 144

I really think the table was bumped to cause the problem, and here is why it looks "leaning" to me on this particular "after" photo, which could have looked like to the bride as well. I'm not defending her, I think she is out of steam on this one, since the damage occured after you left. Here is the after photo, I cropped it to bring the edges closer to the cake. As you see, the spacing from the edge to the cake seem to increase on left and decrease on right as we go up, starting at 3rd tier. Which makes it look like the cake is slightly leaning.

The only reason, I'm saying this, is because arguing with the bride whether it was leaning or not may be counterproductive, since she is convinced that the cake was leaning when she saw it, which could be true. It's more of

"dear bride, I'm sorry to hear that your cake sustained minor damage during the time after my set up and before your arrival to the recepton site. As evidenced by attached photos (designer's photos), the cake was set up in predetermined by you locaton level and without lean. The flavor of the cake, design, and decorations were as per your specifications. The cake was also inspected and accepted by your Wedding Coordinator after set up. However, based on your photos, I see that additional activity took place around the cake and cake table after my departure, i.e. refuffling of fabric, movng of plates, placing of napkins, and removing of the tree. Also, by your own admission, at least some of the damage was caused by your husband. As stated in your contract, signed by you on _________ (see attached, paragraph 2), I'm not responsible for any damage caused to the cake by venue staff, wedding party, and wedding guests after set up and no refund shall be made should any such damage occur (or whatever is the wording of the contract). However, I pride myself on providing my brides with excellent product and service, and, should I have been contacted in time, I would have been happy to return to the venue to address your concerns. " or something like that...

Anywhoooo... please don't slam me for thinking that it was leaning. I think the cake is absolutely gorgeous!!!!
P
LL

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:23pm
post #73 of 144

First, let me state that everyone on here has been absolutely wonderful and in no way do I feel like anyone is being mean, offensive or siding with the bride. I felt pretty confident that the cake was perfect when setup, and I am glad to see that I'm not alone.

Pebbles, I like your wording. I might use a large portion of that if you don't mind.

Ceshell: The best part is that the bride was on site!!! The site -corrdinator was telling me before I left that she wasn't even sure if there was going to be a wedding because the two of them (bride and groom) were screaming at each other.

I'm going to contact her this evening and let her know that I am NOT refunding any monies. My DH made a good point, he said that if I don't refund, she's gonna badmouth me. if I do refund, chances are still very good that that she will badmouth me and I'll be out the money.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:31pm
post #74 of 144

I don't think it's leaning, but I do see the off center-ness of the top tier. I think the table was bumped too and no one will own up to it. I like what pebbles wrote and I think that should suffice for your response.

If they were screaming at eachother before the ceremony I'm sure that things aren't all happy happy sunshine and rainbows with them. I'm thinking she just wants to get out of paying. What a complete ass hat!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:56pm
post #75 of 144

She probably had no idea that you took a picture of the cake at the reception when she started this little scam.

Pebbles - the phrasing on that was great!

farfalla6ella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farfalla6ella Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:23pm
post #76 of 144

Bottom line: She's trying to scam you outta money! If she had a problem with the appearance of the cake, she (or her coordinator) should have said something right then and there! The only time I would maybe refund money is if the cake was dry or inedible...but you better believe that the cake will be returned to me, uneaten! You're cake is beautiful and don't let anyone take that away from you! This always sucks thought when it happens!

tigersluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigersluv Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:08pm
post #77 of 144

Did they acutally get married? Maybe that is why she wants the money back.

Really, if it was that big of a deal why didn't they call and have you fix it.

Also, when I got married all of my rental dishes made it back on time even though I went on my honeymoon.

The cake is beautiful and I don't think you owe them anything.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:37pm
post #78 of 144

One other thing you could do (if this works), is print out a picture of you cake as you left it, and draw an x- and y- axis over the base and upright centre of the cake to show it was perpendicular.

Any other complaints (after you left) are then placed neatly in the "too bad" basket.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:09am
post #79 of 144

You know what Pebbles, I kind of see it too. But, it wasn't in the first photograph.

The wedding "planner" is rude to you-saying it isn't her job to set up your cake. Ummm...did she need to? Was she asked to? What kind of nonsensical argument is that?

And you asked her specifically if it was OK-she said yes.

IMO-case closed. Cake was fine when you left. You took a pic. Wedding "planner" said it was fine. Pictures of during the wedding show problems. Nothing you caused.

Please please please stick to your guns!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:58am
post #80 of 144

Through extensive forensic analysis, I have determined that the "lean" (if you can even call it that), is decidedly more pronounced in photo #2, as you can see by the perfectly square boxes in which I have encased the top tier.

The cake was obviously bumped in the time period between photos 1&2, and that's what knocked the groom down also.

Verdict: The cake was fine when you left it, the "site coordinator" said so (no matter what she is saying now to cover her ass, the lying liar who lies). I challenge her to show those two photos to any reasonable person and explain why she should get a refund.

Good lord, what is UP with these brides these last few weeks?
LL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:25am
post #81 of 144
Quote:
Quote:

Good lord, what is UP with these brides these last few weeks?

I was actually thinking on this topic today. When I started making cakes decades ago, I NEVER got complaints, bad comments, etc., like we are seeing today. Nor did any of the other cake ladies that I knew.

it seems only in the past few years (5? 7?) have I heard story after story after story of brides pulling this. And you know what, gang .... we don't get WORSE over the years..... with every cake we do, we enhanced our skills more and more.

WTH????? icon_eek.gif

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:40am
post #82 of 144

Ok, so here is my response. I won't hear from her until the morning because she only emails me from her work email

Bride,

As evident by my photos, the cake was set up level and straight. The flavor of the cake, design, and decorations were as per your specifications. The cake was also inspected and accepted by the site-Coordinator (xxxxx)after set up. Based on xxxs("wedding coordinator) photos, I see that additional activity took place around the cake and cake table after my departure, i.e. re-fluffing of fabric, moving of plates, placing of napkins, and removing of the tree. As stated in the contract, signed by you, XXXXX(my compan) is not responsible for any damage caused to the cake after setup is complete. However, I pride myself on providing my brides with excellent products and service, and, had I been contacted in a timely manner, I would have been happy to return to the venue to address your concerns. As I was not contacted by any of the parties that you have indicated as having such strong opinions about the state of the cake, I will not be providing any renumeration in regards to this cake. I wish you and groom the best in your new life together, but I consider this matter to be closed.

Thoughts?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:02am
post #83 of 144

Did anyone see the coming attractions for cake boss next week where this bridezilla tells Buddy his wedding cake he made for her is ugly and she takes a piping bag of red icing and starts squeezing it all over the cake OMG........psycho

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:04am
post #84 of 144

Sounds good to me jill

OfficerMorgan Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:06am
post #85 of 144

That sounds absolutely perfect. I would send that, maybe consider certified mail, and be done with it. At that point I would cut off any additional communication with her or the wedding "planner".

I was thinking about how the "planner" had also griped at you about the cake being dry. Which is a stupid thing to say when discussing other matters. I think what ever accident happened with the cake was her fault and she was trying to just get the damages covered by you, anyway she could. The cake was leaning! I'm not responsible for setting your cake up! The cake was dry! I have no reason to lie! Yeah right, she has every reason to lie. It's called CYA.

IMO-she moved the tree and it bumped the table rather hard. She was scared s***less and thought she could pin in on you. Don't let her.

OfficerMorgan Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:10am
post #86 of 144

Also, my forensics mind working here-say from our vantage point that the "planner" picked up the tree, where the leaves would be to our right and the basket thing it's in goes to the left. She tries to squeeze around the table, going to our right, bumps it the table, which I would think would make the groom fall to our right. Just thinking aloud.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:24am
post #87 of 144

I must be blind because I don't see anything leaning. The cake is beautiful.
Did they actually get married?
A theory:
Groom picked up child's figure from cake and broke it; coordinator, while placing red napkins on cake table, tried to replace it and bumped into cake table causing cake to tip (even though I don't see tipping);bride yanked groom figure from cake, decapitating groom figure, because she was mad at groom for breaking child's figure; screaming ensued; wedding called off; bride seeking to recoup cash spent on wedding that wasn't. Hmmmmm. Can't figure out what happened to the tree. Guess it was just ugly.

CakesDownTheFamilyLine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesDownTheFamilyLine Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:39am
post #88 of 144

Nice wording, I guess the bride will be fuming at the thought the her little scam back fired at her. I don't know why people do this they are only embarasing them selfs in front of others. as my mother always says when she has costumers that try to complain on thin air-don't ruin your life of people who don't have one!!!

icon_lol.gif Good job

chryscrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chryscrazy Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:48am
post #89 of 144

bride yanked groom figure from cake, decapitating groom figure, because she was mad at groom for breaking child's figure; screaming ensued; wedding called off; bride seeking to recoup cash spent on wedding that wasn't

That is GREAT. Can't wait to see her response. I'm so sorry for all of you going through this with these horrible brides, but I get pulled into it like a soap opera!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:54am
post #90 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

My contract does state that I am not responsible for damage to the cake after setup is complete, so from a legal standpoint, I feel I'm covered. I did mention this to her in one email, but she seems to be ingoring it.

I haven't heard back from anyone for the rest of the day, so we'll see what happens. I have not problem discussing a refund if there was actual damage, but until I see it, I can't do anything.

I mean, if they called their dress shop and said that the zipper broke, the dress shop would want to see the dress, right?

I agree with this.... I take photos too. If the cake is good when I leave it, photo proves it, plus I get a signature from the planner or caterer or whoever is available to witness a perfect cake delivery....I don't care what happens afterwards its not my fault. Anything can happen...table is wimpy or breaks, someone knocks into the table, somebody messes with the decorations....once its there, and someone witnesses the cake standing and looking sturdy...transaction complete.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%