Corn Syrup Substitute For Glace Recipe?

Baking By tujy Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm by varika

tujy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tujy Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 7

what can be used instead of corn syrup in a glace recipe? has anybody tried honey? if using honey is there no point adding vanilla extract?

golden syrup?

i've also found glucose syrup in my local supermarket - is that the same thing?

6 replies
sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 7

I use clear honey. Some types of honey are clear not brown. Turns out perfect.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 7

golden syrup is a good substitue, glucose is even better - still not the exact same thing though, but i have looked a lot and dont think there is an exact non-us version.
xx

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 7

glucose? You know I was looking at a bottle of "glucose" at the cake shop the other day and the only ingrediant in it was corn syrup. So is there a difference?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:24am
post #5 of 7

i dont realy know - when ever ive looked online, people say there is a difference.
xx

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 7

Maybe it depends on brand. Maybe different brands use a different base? Or maybe the corn syrup is processed differently? Ugh. I just use the corn syrup from the grocery store. icon_smile.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 7

Glucose is a sugar that is produced by corn and is the main, but not necessarily only, component to corn syrup. Golden syrup contains both fructose and glucose--after some processing with substances such as lye and hydrochloric acid. Honey is also composed of fructose and glucose with trace elements.

Of the three, corn syrup is the one that goes through the least processing with the greatest control over quality and additives. And corn syrup is not the same thing as high-fructose corn syrup, which takes corn syrup and processes it to turn come glucose into fructose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%