How Do I Do Cammoflouge With Icing And Not Airbrush?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 3:13pm by beachcakes

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone!!icon_smile.gif

I have a cammo cake to do for next week but I was thinking of doing the cammo spots in icing and not airbrush.She wants to set rubber/plastic snakes down on the cake and if you do that with an airbrushed cake the color comes off...

Any tips on arranging the colors etc? Thanks in Advance!

Laurel icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 9

Hi Laurel,

Quite a while ago I made a Camo cake for my nephews using just icing. (Picture is attached--it's very "amateurish", but you'll get the idea)it was really easy--just make 4 or so shades of icing in camo colors and then just kind of freehand some random shapes. I used a star tip in this cake, but if I made it again I would probably use a round tip and then smooth out the "blobs" of color. I would also cover the whole cake with camo, if I did it again, and make the message on a fondant banner instead of right on the cake.

I used a dog tag and some Matchbox camo toys and that was it. Hope that helps!

Michele
LL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 9

Never having don4e it I probably should keep my mouth (fingers) shut/quite but........
(hehehe) I would cover w/one of the basic colors - like tan, then pipe on blobs of the other colors and smooth it out w/a spatula. Something like Michele ^^^ did but then smooth it out - and keep the areas smaller.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 9

Here's one I did. I used a crusting BC and freehanded the colors with the open round tip, kinda like a puzzle. Then smoothed w/ a Viva. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1281468

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 9

Yes I agree with beachcakes...I did something similar on top of a cake with smaller blobs of icing with tip 12. Once you smooth it with the VIVA paper towel it looks great!! You could also do a border in that bright orange (if it's a hunting theme).

Good luck!

RosieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosieC Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 9

Here's one I did awhile back...it was really easy....i just used the round tips and piped ramdom outlines and filled in...did a little at a time and went back and smoothed with Viva...it was really neat how it turned out...good luck with yours! Rosie...if this doesnt attach here you can go to my cake photos and see it...RosieC

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:14am
post #7 of 9

Thanks Everyone..Great cakes and it helps me see how to do it!!

Laurel icon_smile.gif

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #8 of 9

Hi

May I ask which tip you used? It looks great. And do you just squeeze the bag like when using the star tip?

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

Here's one I did. I used a crusting BC and freehanded the colors with the open round tip, kinda like a puzzle. Then smoothed w/ a Viva. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1281468

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 9

It was a tip 12 i think. I outlined it and then just filled in w/ a long "snake" of icing, smoothed a little with a spatula, then smooted w/ viva when it was crusted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%