Who Has Used The Melvira Method?

Decorating By imamommy1205 Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 4:32am by mareg

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 10

I have a cake to do that I want to look super professional and smooth. Who all has used the Melvira Method with the foam roller? How did that go? Did it work well? Was it a pain in the you-know-what? lol I dont want to go buy the stuff if most people have had a bad experience with it ya know.

And another question....I need some pointers on how to get the edges of the icing smooth. Thanks!

9 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 10

I have never tried it, but I've heard lots of good things about it. I'm not a big buttercream person, but I do want to try it sometime.

linda2530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linda2530 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 10

It is the greatest! I use it all the time. You can make a buttercream cake look like fondant! Everyone wants to know "how did you get that cake so smooth". It is a good way to get your edges smooth and it makes a big difference when doing a square cake. I buy the rollers by the bag and I also use both the large one and the small size ones. After I finish using it, I store them in a large plastic bag.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 10

ME! ME! ME!! Ever since I discovered it a couple of years ago, I have NEVER made a cake without my roller!! It is THE most AWESOME tool in the world!! Once you use it, you'll never go back....I swear to high heaven you won't.

I just let the cake sit for 2-5 minutes, then give the turntable a spin with the roller touching the sides, and BAM! You've got a great smooth cake!

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 10

Wow! I really want to try it. I made a cake the other day but didn't have a high-density foam roller. I didn't have Viva paper towels either. So I ended up using plain old white computer/copy paper because I remember a while back someone had suggested that here on CC. Well, I can tell you that my cake cake out SUPER smooth with the computer paper, so if you don't get a chance to get the roller, try the paper. However, I DO want to try Melvira's roller method. She always has the best advice! icon_smile.gif

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 10

I was ultra old school using the hot spatula method. Just for kicks I tried the foam roller. Quick easy and beautiful results.

Try it now, you will never go back!

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 10

Ok, you convinced me...I went to Lowes and bought the stuff. I will be trying it tonight on a practice cake. I will post pics icon_smile.gif.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 10

As someone else said, just store your clean and dry roller in a plastic bag. I want to caution you, though, to be careful WHERE it's stored. I put mine in a cupboard with my cookie tins. Well, one of the tins slid down and rested on the roller. When I went to use it a few weeks later, there was a HUGE dent in the high density foam. It leaves a mark on the frosted cake, so I can't use it anymore.

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:09am
post #9 of 10

The absolute best!!!
When i'm real busy I can have my DH do the smoothing for me thumbs_up.gif
I won't use any other method...unless of course i'm doing
a fondant covered.
You won't find an easier more sure fire method, that you find so cheaply either!

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:32am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

ME! ME! ME!! Ever since I discovered it a couple of years ago, I have NEVER made a cake without my roller!! It is THE most AWESOME tool in the world!! Once you use it, you'll never go back....I swear to high heaven you won't.

I just let the cake sit for 2-5 minutes, then give the turntable a spin with the roller touching the sides, and BAM! You've got a great smooth cake!

ditto.....I agree 100% thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%