How Do I Attach A "fabric" Ribbon To Fondant Cover

Decorating By jolie1977 Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 4:23pm by Eisskween

jolie1977 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:43am
post #1 of 8

Help! I've tried attaching a fabric ribbon to my cake with royal icing on the back, but the grease shows through the ribbon! Wedding cake due today, how do I attach my ribbon to my fondant covered cake? This is my first wedding cake AND my first time attaching a fabric ribbon to a cake! ;o)

Any help would be sooo appreciated at this point! I've been up all night!!!!

Thanks!

7 replies
Eisskween Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 9:08am
post #2 of 8

Just pull the ribbon snug without pulling too tight. Fold one side under to cover raw edges and put over the other end. Secure with a pin that has a LARGE Pearl on the end (or something else having to do with the theme......) Make sure that SOMEONE knows to take this off before cutting the cake!

jolie1977 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 9:09am
post #3 of 8

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! You have no idea how much your quick reply means to me!

Eisskween Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 9:27am
post #4 of 8

You are very welcome sweetie, glad I could help. icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 9:29am
post #5 of 8

I personally wouldn't suggest using a ribbon on a cake unless it is actually made for food.

I wouldn't use a pin either to secure it because accidents can happen. I would suggest you overlap the ribbon where the ends meet and stick double sided tape in the back... This way the tape doesn't touch the cake.

Cakechick123 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:21pm
post #6 of 8

I wet my ribbon and run it between my fingers to get rid of all the exess water. Then stick it onto the fondant, this makes the fondant sticky and it works like glue!!

I also prefer not to use any pins in my cake, just incase!!!

jolie1977 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you so much for all your replies! I did end up using the pins because I didn't get the other replies in time, but next time I won't because it worried me all day!!! It did the trick, but next time I think I'll try the water! Never thought of that!

Eisskween Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 8

If you use the water, watch what type of ribbon you use. It could dye the fondant and may be toxic. Also it could run and make a mess if it's wet.

I just use the big corsage pins and after setting up, I speak with the head chef, count the pins, which are quite obvious and have them sign off that they know that they are there and must be removed prior to cutting.

Glad it helped. I just did one like that this weekend.

Enjoy your day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%