Simple Question: What Is The Lightest Edible Medium?

Decorating By helen3743 Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 3:38pm by lorrieg

helen3743 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:48am
post #1 of 10

Is it fondant, gumpaste, or modeling chocolate, or something else?

There was an Ace of Cake episode i saw where geoff was making a big ship, but the front part was cracking and sank down cuz of the gumpaste, so I thinK he replaced the front with foam board... Do you know if there was something else he could have used to make everything edible...?

Wondering cuz the cake i'm trying to make will have that same structure problem... (but i'm definitely not making a ship...one day maybe =P)

9 replies
miny Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:01am
post #2 of 10

They're all about the same, it all depends on the thickness you are using and how sturdy is your cake.

shelbur10 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:03am
post #3 of 10

You could probably use cereal treats for something structural like that. If you need light decoration, royal icing is the best bet for weight, but it's terribly fragile. What kind of cake are you making?

__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:28am
post #4 of 10

Pastiallage...very light. And sturdier than GP.

helen3743 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:55am
post #5 of 10

Thanks for all the advice =)

shelbur10- i'm trying to make this bear/lego man type cake for my cousin's wedding next week... His tummy that sticks out is what I was concerned about...

and i will try the pastiallage--- =)

lorrieg Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:57am
post #6 of 10

Is pastillage edible? I thought it wasn't. icon_confused.gif

alliebear Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:07am
post #7 of 10

yep it is... its basically just like cum paste but without the gum trag in it.. to me is tastes like those candy sticks i use to get at halloween

lorrieg Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:40am
post #8 of 10

I was thinking about cold porcelain perhaps.

I have some of Marcela Sanchez' premade pastillage and I find it quite grainy and not not fun to work with.

They ALL taste gross. icon_wink.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 10

Yah...pastiallage is never meant to be eaten, and it's the cold porcelain that is definitely non-edible, in fact is specifically banned from most decorating competitions for that reason.

lorrieg Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 10

Good to know. I can stop worrying about it touching the cakes then. I haven't tried cold porcelain and don't plan to for now.

It always cracks me up when kids try to eat gumpaste/fondant figures. You tell them they won't like it but they have to find out for themselves. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%