Cell Phone Companies - Managing Minutes

Lounge By shelbur10 Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 8:08pm by ziggytarheel

shelbur10 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:15am
post #1 of 13

A while back there was a commercial about a cell phone company that would allow you to specify which phones were allowed so many minutes. That way your kid doesn't use up all the family minutes, or run up a huge bill. Does anyone know which company offers that? I can't seem to find what I'm looking for anywhere else and I figured maybe someone here would know, since I depend on CCers for everything else... icon_wink.gif

12 replies
Rylan Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 10:58am
post #2 of 13

Thats a neat idea. I would love to know about that.

shelbur10 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:45pm
post #3 of 13

Nobody remembers this one? In the commercial a brother & sister were washing a car together and fighting & mom and dad were inside adjusting how many minutes they were allowed to have. I wish every company would add this feature! I hate seeing DD spend so much money on prepaid.

veejaytx Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 13

I remember the commercial, but unfortunately don't remember the company. Sorry I can't be more help.

peg818 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 13

check tmobile. I remember the commercial but i'm unsure of the company. Just seems like it was them.

There are also, pay as you go phones. And they now have monthly plans with the pay as you go phones. So that the kids don't run up hugh bills.

Here i have gone with sprint and we are on a family package plan, that includes unlimited internet, picture and text for all three of us. Nights also start at 7pm. We don't go through a lot of talking minutes, but the texts are off the chart.

Deb_ Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 13

Verizon family plan is also a good one. Unlimited anytime minutes, unlimited texts and picture messages too. We've been with Verizon for over 10 yrs, in the beginning my kids always went over the allowable minutes/texts, but the past 5 or so yrs we've had the unlimited plan and it's been fine.

Isn't it funny how we can all remember every detail of those commercials EXCEPT the name of the company that is advertised? icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gif

shelbur10 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately my area is pretty limited for choices, I was hoping & praying it was Verizon. I'll have to check out their other options. Honestly, I hadn't even thought of unlimited...now I feel like a dork. DD is still a little young for a phone IMO (almost 10), but if she can earn enough money to pay her part of the bill, we let her have it. I'm trying to help her out with that, because it so much more affordable to be on a plan. I just don't trust her to not send 5 million texts a month if her limit is 500. icon_rolleyes.gif

Jayde Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:42pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbur10

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately my area is pretty limited for choices, I was hoping & praying it was Verizon. I'll have to check out their other options. Honestly, I hadn't even thought of unlimited...now I feel like a dork. DD is still a little young for a phone IMO (almost 10), but if she can earn enough money to pay her part of the bill, we let her have it. I'm trying to help her out with that, because it so much more affordable to be on a plan. I just don't trust her to not send 5 million texts a month if her limit is 500. icon_rolleyes.gif

Shel, the kids in my area are allowed cell phones a 7-8 years old. There is one girl in my daughter's kindergarten class that has one, because her mother 'feels safer with her having her own phone.' Safer? She barely knows how to use the thing...

shelbur10 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:36pm
post #9 of 13

I know, I think it's ridiculous the young ages kids get cell phones these days. ALL of DD's friends have them. I can see the 'safer' point of view, but only if my kid's old enough to be somewhere without a trusted adult close by, which mine is not yet. It's nice if she goes to a friend's house to sleep over, though, then I know she can reach me at anytime and not have to ask to use the phone (she's so shy, she probably never would ask). I guess I don't have a really good reason for her not to have one, as long as she's earning the money for it. We're really piling on the chores. I found a plan that's reasonably priced with unlimited texting, which is really what she needs, she never actually TALKS to anyone. And it gives us nice leverage if she misbehaves or doesn't do her chores, take away the phone. A great motivator to keep the tween attitude in check. icon_wink.gif

peg818 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:56pm
post #10 of 13

check out the pay as you plans. there are some really good ones out there, and they start as low as $20 to activate. Then if you need to cancel the phone cause of abuse it doesn't cost you any fees.

My first phone was a verizon pay as you go, which my son inherited then i got a virgin mobile phone $20 every 3 months at the time.

Now all three of us are on sprint (which i'm quite happy with) My son still has the original phone number from the verizon phone and i'm happy with what i'm paying.

I started with the pay as you go phones until they started running up more money each month then a real phone would cost. They worked great were easy to control how much you are spending and had a limited investment.

Personally i think they are a great way to start a person out with a cell phone.

shannon100 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:06pm
post #11 of 13

I was thinking that commercial was for Sprint, but I don't remember for sure.

emrldsky Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:08pm
post #12 of 13

It's Tmobile:

ziggytarheel Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:08pm
post #13 of 13

I highly recommend a pay as you go phone. That's what both of our kids started with when they got their first phones (about the time they turned 16!). You can't go over. You learn to be responsible with your minutes.

Now my husband even has a Net10 phone and he loves it! He changed jobs and lost his company phone. Because a phone might be added with his new job, we didn't see the point in being stuck with a contract with a phone he might not need.

He got a Net10 phone at Best Buy in December. I think it was $30 for the phone with no activation fee AND two months/300 minutes for FREE. Nothing to lose to try it, right? If you do the $10 a month refill, the minutes don't carry over, but if you pay $15 a month, you carry over any extra minutes. No roaming surcharges (which some companies have, like charging double minutes), free long distance.

He doesn't talk much on his mobile phone, so this has been such a bargain! Now he has quite a stash of minutes accumulated, so if he needs more than the 150 he buys every month, he's set. Of course, if he runs out of minutes early, he can buy more at any time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%