Vinyl And Fondant!

Decorating By farfalla6ella Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 12:52pm by dlinnane

farfalla6ella Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:14am
post #1 of 9

The other day I stumbled a topic about fondant not sticking to vinyl and was thrilled to try it because I have a big cake to do. I went to the fabric store and got clear vinyl (think shower curtain lining) and I cannot believe how wonderful it worked! I barely used any shortening or powdered sugar and its easy clean up. I'm sure a lot of people know about this, but I thought it would be a good tip to get out there even more!

8 replies
Renaejrk Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:18am
post #2 of 9

my only problem is storage of mine - if you fold it up it has creases which transfer onto the fondant! I don't have room to leave it out flat. It is GREAT for rolling out fondant, though!

nancyg Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:23am
post #3 of 9

I too discovered vinyl, and can't live without it! For those who don't want to fold it. Get a cardboard roll from the fabric store and keep the vinyl rolled in the corner of your closet.

cs_confections Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:34am
post #4 of 9

I roll my larger pieces around my large Wilton Fondant rolling pin and put it back in the box the pin came in. They do stick out of the top a little bit, so I don't close it, but then I can lay the box on a shelf (or it could be stood up in a closet or pantry).

The smaller vinyl pieces are wrapped around the smaller pin and put in one of my kitchen drawers. My mats and pins are then always together when I need them.

in2cakes2 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:42am
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the tip! I am forever fighting with fondant and this sounds like the answer to my problems. icon_smile.gif

mgwebb68 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:48am
post #6 of 9

I saw the same thing about the vinyl and I was wondering how it worked. Thanks for sharing your thoughts everyone. Need to make a trip to the fabric store now before I try my next fondant cake.

dlinnane Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 9:52am
post #7 of 9

Reading about using vinyl for fondant was a lifesaver for me. It's the only way I'll do fondant now, and I couldn't do larger cakes without it! I bought a couple of yards and cut three different sizes. That way I use the appropriate size and the others stay rolled up (on a cardboard roll) in the pantry or on a smaller rolling pin, and I'm not fighting with too much or too little vinyl for the fondant I'm rolling out.

leif Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:08am
post #8 of 9

Thanks on this wonderful tip. I shall buy a piece to try it!

dlinnane Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:52pm
post #9 of 9

Oh, one more thing - be sure to flip the fondant onto another sheet of vinyl before placing it on the cake - that way the side you rolled is the "up" side on the cake, and you will avoid having little pits on the surface that occur sometimes between the fondant and the vinyl as you roll it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%