Pricing Stringwork?

Business By lorijom Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 7:37pm by BlakesCakes

lorijom Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:20am
post #1 of 15

Hi everybody, hate to do it but I must ask a pricing question icon_redface.gif This is one of the cakes I will be exhibiting at a bridal expo this weekend and I have no idea about pricing it. I don't know of many places doing commercial stringwork for comparison pricing, any help would be appreciated. This cake has gumpaste flowers, satin stitch embroidery and of course the stringwork. I am in a big city and my pricing starts at $4.50 ps. Thanks!
LL

14 replies
ptanyer Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:28am
post #2 of 15

I don't know how to price that beautiful work, but here's a bump so that maybe someone can answer that question for you.

Evoir Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:31am
post #3 of 15

I don't think I can give you a dollar value for the whole cake, as you haven't given all your sizes and the details about all the other components like flowers etc, but a cake with GP flowers and stringwork takes you into the upper stratosphere of pricing. $10 - $15 a slice is not uncommon for this much work. Multiply that by total number of serves for your cake.

HTH.

lorijom Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:40am
post #4 of 15

Thanks for the advice icon_smile.gif I don't think many brides will want stringwork but I've already had two interested so thought I better be prepared.

Gefion Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:12am
post #5 of 15

I don't think I would price stringwork per serving, but seperately. Like a huge gumpaste flower topper. $200 or the more - depending on cake size. You really can't price stringwork too high - the endless hours that goes into it should be compensated. I know I'd rather not do a cake with stringwork - than do it for cheap. Especially since you can't do it in advance, like with gumpaste flowers.

And the cake is beautiful! Good job.

mombabytiger Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:48am
post #6 of 15

I don't know the answer to your question, but I love your cake!

lorijom Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:54am
post #7 of 15

Thank you icon_smile.gif The show tomorrow should be interesting I'll see how many brides, if any, are interested in stringwork. We always think of it for show cakes but maybe somebody would actually like it on their cake. We'll see.

Sugarflowers Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:55am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gefion

I don't think I would price stringwork per serving, but seperately. Like a huge gumpaste flower topper. $200 or the more - depending on cake size. You really can't price stringwork too high - the endless hours that goes into it should be compensated. I know I'd rather not do a cake with stringwork - than do it for cheap. Especially since you can't do it in advance, like with gumpaste flowers.

And the cake is beautiful! Good job.

I agree with this entire post! icon_smile.gif Good luck getting someone willing to pay for the work.

The cake really is gorgeous!

Michele

snowshoe1 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:25pm
post #9 of 15

Many bakeries will price stringwork by the inch. So if you are doing a 8" round in stringwork, you have 25" of stringwork to do. How intricate your design is should drive your per inch price. This is a question I asked of Ms. Randelsome (who does the most amazing extension work) and I believe she said she starts at $3 per inch.

Love your cake!

cylstrial Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 6:52pm
post #10 of 15

I can't help with the pricing, but just had to say what a BEAUTIFUL cake!

lorijom Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:08am
post #11 of 15

Thanks for the nice comments on the cake everybody. Just got back from the show and it was amazing!!! When I got home I already had two e-mails asking to schedule design appointments. I handed out about 1000 brochures and I lost my voice about 3 hours into my day but I am very happy with the way things went icon_smile.gif

I was glad that I thought about the pricing for this cake because the question was asked 100's of times. So thanks again everybody, I count on all of you to act as my "consultants".

tonedna Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:19am
post #12 of 15

I am one of those that think stringwork is priceless!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Evoir Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:39am
post #13 of 15

Congratulations on your success at the show! Even if not every bride wants stringwork, I am sure you have impressed people enough with your skills to want to work with you on their cake icon_smile.gif

Monkess Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:02pm
post #14 of 15

Given the fragility of the stringwork, in my experience this is one of those things most brides like to look at but seldom end up ordering it. We price by the inch too and it varies from $2.50-4.50 per inch. I love doing it but it does get trying sometimes and top of that transportation is a mental anguish! Good luck and congratulations on the success of the show.

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:37pm
post #15 of 15

I agree with Monkees.....of the few people I know who are willing to do this type of work, most charge by the linear inch.

I took a class with Geraldine Randlesome a few years ago and she was charging C$1.50-2.00/inch then for basic, bridged, white stringwork. Prices went up if there was hailspotting, colors, bridgeless, etc.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%