My Cake Balls Have Worms!!

Decorating By shannon100 Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 3:30pm by Justbeck101

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:20am
post #1 of 25

I made cake balls today. I didn't use any liquid or icing when I made them, because the cake was so moist that it formed perfect balls. (I used both yellow and chocolate, so they are marbled cakeballs.) I froze them like normal, and when I dipped them, I put a toothpick in each one and dipped it in white chocolate, and then put the toothpick in a block of styrofoam. I've never left the toothpick in before. I guess because I did, the cake has to find a way out, and it looks like worms!! It's so funny! I've scraped some away, and it comes back!! It's like it's alive. It's so funny.

I left the toothpicks in because I'm eventually going to pipe lines on these to make them look like baseballs for my step-granddad's 92nd birthday cake. I'm going to wait until I get to his house, though, because I don't want the buttercream to fall off in the car.
LL

24 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:48am
post #2 of 25

LOL interesting

CakesDownTheFamilyLine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesDownTheFamilyLine Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:54am
post #3 of 25

Weird icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif

Melby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melby Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:56am
post #4 of 25

I've had this happen before too!! Now I make sure to fill all the holes from the toothpicks icon_smile.gif

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:57am
post #5 of 25

OMG. I read the post title, saw the pic and was like how sad and where did you buy your chocolate from. Then i read what you wrote. So glad to read that it was not real worms. Teachs me not to read first HUH!!! LOL

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:00am
post #6 of 25

Don't feel bad Blondeez, I did the same thing. icon_redface.gif

That's strange how they turned out.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 25

Oh gosh - I totally thought you meant real worms. I was thinking, I might get sick looking at this picture. Ha!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:45pm
post #8 of 25

My hair rose up when you said worms. WOW.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 25

that's too funny-now if it was for a little boy he might like that gross-factor!! (some of them so have a definate worm quality!!)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:09am
post #10 of 25

Yah, I've had that happen too. Don't know why.

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:14am
post #11 of 25

when i do my apples covered in caramel and then cover them in chocolate this happens to me also the caramel kinda worms out if i cover the apples completly in the caramel first... it must be the same thing.... Its just gonna keep coming out no matter how many times you clean it off.

shanna_banana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanna_banana Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:20am
post #12 of 25

Could it be because the frozen cakeballs are being dipped into warm chocolate? As things warm they usually expand, so the only place the expanding cake had to go was out of the toothpick holes. I'm not sure I'm right, but it kind of makes sense to me. icon_confused.gif

I imagine there are a lot of people who don't want to open this post because they are afraid they might get sick! icon_lol.gif

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:27am
post #13 of 25

Yep, that happens when you freeze your balls first. The mixture expands as it warms up and oozes out wherever it can get out!! icon_biggrin.gif

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:38am
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgriffiths

Yep, that happens when you freeze your balls first. The mixture expands as it warms up and oozes out wherever it can get out!! icon_biggrin.gif

I am going to regret this as soon as I hit enter but it is begging to be said.

Is that what happened to my husband brain and all the other guys' brains I have ever met?!?!? icon_surprised.gif

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I really did try! icon_lol.gif

candynumber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candynumber1 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:47am
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Oh gosh - I totally thought you meant real worms. I was thinking, I might get sick looking at this picture. Ha!

Same here! And you're right, it is funny!

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:03am
post #16 of 25

That's weird,I make them all the time & had never happen to me yet.My kids love them.I'm sorry that happened to yours.

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:37am
post #17 of 25

[quote="jimandmollie"]

Quote:

Is that what happened to my husband brain and all the other guys' brains I have ever met?!?!? icon_surprised.gif

Well, I guess my wording called for it, eh!!! icon_lol.gif

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:59pm
post #18 of 25

Thanks for all the replies. I purposely did the title like that to get people to read it. haha. I wanted something catchy. Hope I didn't gross anyone out! I thought it was pretty funny.

I've done cakeballs before, but I've never left the toothpicks in, so I guess that's why it "wormed" out. I needed the toothpicks to stick them into the cake. Hopefully next time, I won't need to keep the toothpicks in. we'll see!!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:59pm
post #19 of 25

If there is any whole...cake balls can weep out the hole. I'm not sure if it's oil or what...but they weep. I use the niftly swirled dipper fork, so mine sometimes will weep out the bottom. Just I just wipe it away with paper towel and it usually doens't come out again.

Jen icon_smile.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:05pm
post #20 of 25

OMG I actually thought they were worms! I was about to freak out. I made some last night and I was going to check on them! LOL That does look nasty! icon_smile.gif

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:

I laughed so hard I darn near fell out my chair!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:16pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassidyg

Quote:

I laughed so hard I darn near fell out my chair!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Me Too!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

As for the worms, I was taught in culinary school that anytime you dip anything in chocolate, you need to dip it twice because the first shell will always crack. Every batch of cake balls and brownie balls that I've ever made have done that. I just scrape the worms off and dip them again. Problem solved. icon_biggrin.gif

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:24pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by candynumber1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Same here! And you're right, it is funny!

Me too!!!!
Oh THANK GOD!!!

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:29pm
post #24 of 25

I was like eeewwwwwww, why take pictures?????

lmao

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:30pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon100

Thanks for all the replies. I purposely did the title like that to get people to read it. haha. I wanted something catchy. Hope I didn't gross anyone out! I thought it was pretty funny.

I've done cakeballs before, but I've never left the toothpicks in, so I guess that's why it "wormed" out. I needed the toothpicks to stick them into the cake. Hopefully next time, I won't need to keep the toothpicks in. we'll see!!

my stomach is still turning!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%