Measure Your Doorway First.....

Decorating By hammer1 Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 9:05pm by kakeladi

hammer1 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:50am
post #1 of 8

just made the largest sheet cake i've ever was 24 by 35 the board was 28 by 40. finished the cake and went to take it to the car. we had to have two of us carry it and hands had to go under the board no room on the side for the hands. quite an impressive graduation cake....i will post later. we didn't do sheet cakes for a long time, however people really want them, so we are creative in our sheetcakes....we really like the wow factor. anyone else ever forget to measure?

7 replies
underthesun Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:59am
post #2 of 8

OMG, I hate to laugh, but I did let a giggle slip out icon_lol.gif

I will make sure I remember after reading this. Glad you were able to get it out the door!

bbmom Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:04am
post #3 of 8

I've seen a few episodes of Ace of Cakes where the cake didnt fit through the fridge door, or in the car.

blondeez Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:06am
post #4 of 8

Had to giggle also. Sounds like something I would do. Glad to hear you were able to get it out the door. Am going to make a mental note for the future.

chellescountrycakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 8

I just did a baseball field cake. went out and cut a 3 by 3 foot peice of plywood and brought it in, put the cake on it, got it all decorated and was ready to send it to town. I KNEW it wouldnt fit in my truck, so I had my grandfather measure his trunk. it would fit there.

THEN he came to get it. It wasnt until I was on one side, my husband on the other and we were toting it that I realized that 36 inches is probebly the size of the irregular door in my trailerhouse.

We were able to get it out by each of us putting our hands on the side we were ON, instead of on the edge we wernt on. I think we cleared it by an inch.

I also had forgotten to put buttercream UNDER the cake, so on the way down the stairs it slid.... we caught it, but it COULD have been bad..... so yes, I have been there. you are NOT alone....

cylstrial Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 8

Oh, I was so scared for you when I read the title of the post. I'm so glad that you were able to make it through the doorway and that the cake turned out great! Can't wait to see the pictures!

itsacake Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 8

Before I sold cakes, I made them for my friends. Was doing a huge castle at my house, and had a full sheet and a 14 inch tier stacked on a 36-inch round board. THEN I realized my widest door was 35 inches wide! Called friends at 10 o'clock at night and between us we managed to tilt the very heavy board and cake so that we could get the whole thing through the door and not lose the cake. We set it up on saw horses in the garage and I decorated all night adding additional tiers, the moat, the stairs, trees, turrets, etc. etc. We took it out the next morning through the garage door which was the only way it could work!

I've been shopping for a location for a shop and one of the first things I look at is how wide the doors are. icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 8

I did a jungle cake for a customer once and ran into a similar problem......their stairway into the basement where the party was being held.
Not only was it narrow and steep but had a turn at the bottom that made it almost impossible to get the cake down there. Had to tilt it far more than I was comfortable with but finally managed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%