Soy-Free Cake..??

Baking By supermama322 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 7:57am by JanH

supermama322 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:01am
post #1 of 4

I have a customer telling me none of the bakeries will give her soy-free cake. She has a severe allergy to soy.. I told her I would look around for a soy free recipe.
Does anyone have one or know where to find one??
Why won't the bakeries do it? Is it cross contamination issues??
How much do I charge for a 6" round soy free wedding cake? She has given me REALLY short notice... She needs it June 12th. Thanks in advance everyone!!!

3 replies
JanH Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:32am
post #2 of 4

If you're baking and making the frosting from scratch, simply don't use soy based products like Crisco, Sweetex, soybean oil, soy flour, soy milk, brand name margarines like Fleischmann's, soy margarine, etc.

If baking from a mix, just be sure that the mix doesn't contain soy and that the plant used to process the ingredients doesn't also process soy products. This info can usually be found under the list of ingredients.

Bakeries that declined probably use soy based products to make both the cakes and frostings.

I don't sell cakes, but I think the cost should be based on how you normally bake and frost your cakes. If you already use butter in both, there'd be no cost difference. If you normally use soybean oil and/or shortening, you'd want to factor in the price difference to use butter instead.

P.S. I don't know about cross contamination, but I'd definitely check with her about how "soy free/clean" your pans, utensils and decorating tools must be.

supermama322 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you SO SO SO much. I did the cake and she loved it. I had NO idea there was soy in shortening! Anyways, the cake was delicious (I tasted scraps!), the bride loved everything and no allergic reactions. lol.. THANK YOU!

JanH Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:57am
post #4 of 4

You're very welcome, glad it worked out for you. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%