Cover New Cake Dummies?

Decorating By DreamInCake11 Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 12:50am by underthesun

DreamInCake11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamInCake11 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,

After reading many comments about where to buy cake dummies, I finally ordered some from Dallas Foam. Thanks to everyone for the recommendation! I think they were a great price and shipped fast.

Should I cover the cake dummies with contact paper or something so I can re-use them? What do I ice them with before applying my fondant? Piping gel? Buttercream?

TIA!

3 replies
mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 4

I just got two new sets as well. I am going to cover them with Press n Seal and then buttercream. I want them to work just like my cakes will since I got them for practice.

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:47am
post #3 of 4

I have read that a lot of people cover their cake dummies with buttercream before putting fondant on. I'm actually wondering if there is a reason? I learned in a cake class that it wasn't necessary. I've made two with simply wetting the dummy with water, using my hand, so as not to get it too wet. They turned out great. No problems. When I was finished with them, the fondant came off easily and no damage to the dummies.

I really am curious if there is a reason for using buttercream on a dummy.

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:50am
post #4 of 4

I guess if I had read mbt4955 reply, I would have got it. Cover it just as you would a cake - for practice. That makes sense. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%