Well, I Told Her $140 For A Wedding Cake!!!

Decorating By AngiesIdea Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 7:39am by CakeDiosa

AngiesIdea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngiesIdea Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 15

I can't believe that I actually told her $140. icon_surprised.gif I have been worrying myself over the pricing for this cake. icon_sad.gif So many post came to mind when I was approached about doing it. Didn't want to short change myself but I don't think that I'm at 3.00 a slice skill yet. I know this cake is going to kick my butt so I want to feel like it was worth it when I'm done. She wants a square 2 tiered cake with cream colored icing, bavarian cream filling with gold trim and edible roses to serve 50 peeps. I am highly critical of myself so I hope that I don't cave at the last minute. Will probably be looking for help the pro's, Who's game???? Who's got my back on this one??? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!
Angie

14 replies
OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 15

Well, seeing as you have no photos to show your previous work, it is a little hard to gage how adept you are with decorating. Although, $140 for 50 people sounds relatively fair. You aren't too off from $3/serving, since you are getting $140 and $3/serving is $150.

Why is this a disaster?

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 15

I'm not a pro, but I'm sure you won't cave. Plan it out and give yourself plenty of time to execute. Make two of everything (decorations) and I'm sure there will be no disasters. Good luck and happy baking! icon_biggrin.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerMorgan

Well, seeing as you have no photos to show your previous work, it is a little hard to gage how adept you are with decorating. Although, $140 for 50 people sounds relatively fair. You aren't too off from $3/serving, since you are getting $140 and $3/serving is $150.

Why is this a disaster?

It could be if she's making all the edible roses. You would definitely need to charge extra for that...

TantalizingTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TantalizingTreats Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 15

dont worry about it too much... my first wedding cake (the fall themed wedding cake in my photos) I only charged her $85.00!!! I do kick myself in the butt now for it and wonder what type of glue I was on... but it was my first wedding cake.. Now I feel more confident in charging $3/ serving and up for wedding cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:12am
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

It could be if she's making all the edible roses. You would definitely need to charge extra for that...

A 50 person cake is only 2 tiers ... you can easily decorate that with 15-20 BC roses. I don't charge extra for that.

Now if they're gumpaste or something, that's a different story, of course.

AngiesIdea Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:54am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerMorgan

Why is this a disaster?

Not a disaster, just different for me! I usually low ball myself, as I stated I am overly critical of myself. I have had a few failed attempts at loading pictures on the site icon_redface.gif so thats why I don't have any photos.

The cake was not the only contributing factor either. The location is quite a distance from my house and I'm sure I'll have to add something to the table for the sake of presentation. She's not the most informed bride or maybe just busy with other things. She getting married in 2 weeks and just now looking a cake baker.

I'm trying to be a big girl about this and get compensation for something that I will be giving my all.

But Thanks!
Angie

AngiesIdea Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:58am
post #8 of 15

Thanks for the replys!!!!!

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:06am
post #9 of 15

On my first couple of cakes, i was worried that i might be undercharging, but I thought, Hey I'm getting paid to learn at this point. Your confidence will grow as your experience grows, and you'll feel more comfortable asking for more money.

AngiesIdea Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:14am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiesweet

On my first couple of cakes, i was worried that i might be undercharging, but I thought, Hey I'm getting paid to learn at this point. Your confidence will grow as your experience grows, and you'll feel more comfortable asking for more money.

Yeah, I agree with you there. Part of my thought pattern was, I'm going to be using hi ratio shortenting, impression matt designs and adding to the cake table decor. Starting to want to cave-OH NO icon_sad.gif

Angie

Sara-belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara-belle Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:22am
post #11 of 15

Just tell yourself you're not allowed to cave! icon_wink.gif
You're already putting so much thought and worries into it, I'm sure the cake will turn out beautifully! Just attack it with a plan, do the roses a little in advance so you know that you have enough.. then maybe buy the filling if you cant find a good recipe for it.. would also make the stress level a little lower (personally... lol.) Plus, in such a time crunch.. there's not much time to practice the filling.
You can do it! icon_biggrin.gif

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:15pm
post #12 of 15

Hit a thrift store if you have to have something to add for cake table decor.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:25am
post #13 of 15

it's all in where you live....i have been doing this for thirty some years and still only charge 2.75-3.00 per person and i think i do really creative, unique, good work.

i only do this as a hobby not a job, so i don't depend on the cash, nor do i do any cakes for people i don't know, that is why it is hard to ask for the amount i feel i really deserve.

as an example the extra extra large graduation cake i just posted was a freebie for two kids at my partners church.($160 value)...we do a lot of freebies, no payment now, but in the next life the payment will come.

you can do it, but get lots of details and do a drawing for the bride, you really don't want her complaining that you didn't give her what she wanted....oh, and by the way, brides do complain, quite often a lot.
good luck.

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:33pm
post #14 of 15

You can do it I'm sure or you wouldn't have accepted the job!! But if you DO think you're going to cave, give the bride at least enough time to find someone else who can do it.

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:39am
post #15 of 15

Don't cave. You'd be surprised at how impressed people are at what you might consider your worst work. Remember...your baking and decorating for her and not the pro's here at CC...that's what I have to remind myself everytime something doesn't turn out perfect and "photo worthy" for CC.

I would HIGHLY advise you to do a contract with her, however. Take a gander at the many, many posts here about brides and their aftermath. You may be a bit uncomfortable bringing it up but you NEED to. You can do an online search for cake contracts/wedding cake contracts and print out a general one to use but definitely have a contract. If she is that unorganized she'll likely be a headache later too.

Just a thought....

DO NOT CAVE!! Not that we all know we'll be expecting some pics!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%