Hey, Lemme Axya Somethin...

Business By KidMcWonder Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 12:25am by kakeladi

KidMcWonder Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 10

I saw an ad posted on Craigslist that was for a certification course in the restaurant industry. It was called ServSafe. I emailed the lady and told her of my hopes and dreams of one day running a home bakery (in TN), and asked if this would be the kind of certification I would need.

She wrote back and said yes, it was the industry standard certification course, and it would also look good if I took out a business loan.

I just wanted to ask all of you's who are certified if this was a course you took, or if this could be something fishy. It's $100 for the class/test, and I have to buy the book, too. I just wanted to make sure it's legit.


9 replies
cylstrial Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 10

I'm pretty sure that it's legitimate. It's listed on our Health Dept's website as a class to take.

KidMcWonder Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 10

I'll do some searching online to see if I can find anything on what TN dictates as far as food safety. It seems like the representatives I've called or emailed asking these questions are too busy to respond...

MnSnow Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 10

It is something you need to take, however I have never heard of them being advertised on craigslist. I would check with either your dept of health or agriculture to make sure their an apporved class. I know here, the class had to be given by approved vendors.

Deb_ Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 10

I took it and it wasn't $100 it was $20..........maybe $100 is the craigslist price icon_confused.gif

aundron Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 10

Google Tennesse Dept. of Agriculture; then look under domestic kitchen and look for the name "Ron Murphy"; he should be able to help you out.

The class I took cost $100.00


Mindy1975 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 10

Yes, the whole Serve Safe class is the real deal. But depending on what state you live in......that is not the only thing you need to have a certified kitchen, as far as paperwork goes. I took the Serve Safe class at my local community college, which was $100 for the class, and $85 for the book. After I took the class, the state of Illinois sent me their state permit form to fill out and it cost $35.00 and then I also have to pay my county $150 a year, for the county permit. Those serve safe class and the state permit are good for 5 years. I don't have to take the serve safe test anymore either. You just have to go sit in a class for 5 hours every 5 years. and it costs around $40 for that renewal every 5 years. I have heard that you can take a cheaper course through your health dept. I didn't know that at the time. I just wanted to get it done as soon as possible at the time. Hope this helps!

-Tubbs Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 10

Where I am, it's a Food Safe course (2 days for $125), and it is ONLY run by the Health Department. I'd check this out a little more - the Craigslist thing smells a bit fishy.

leah_s Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:19am
post #9 of 10

ServeSafe is a Food Sanitation/Food Handler Course. Yes it's the industry standard - for Safe Food Handling, not for anything else. It's excellent, but its only one small part of your culinary education.

kakeladi Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:25am
post #10 of 10

Leahs said: ... Yes it's the industry standard - for Safe Food Handling, not for anything else. It's excellent, but its only one small part of your culinary education.........

So true. Also it covers *all* kinds of food.........meats, fresh fish, etc etc. It is a must (I think) in all states now. pricing does vary.

Quote by @%username% on %date%