Cake Supports, Why Is There A Huge Hole In The Cake?

Decorating By sara91 Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 8:59pm by PinkZiab

sara91  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone, I am not from the US and have never used cake supports or plates. I use thin dowels cut to size and inserted. They are hard plastic (food safe)

I have seen a video on You tube with someone using a cake support. I can't believe the size of the hole that was cut out of the cake.

I had to watch it three times.

Is this common? That would be a few portions that have been removed? I am looking forward to hearing more about this technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zYJg4D57kA&feature=fvw

5 replies
sara91 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 6

I have just watched the next one. Sorry more questions!

She is using a piece of corrugated cardboard to sit the cake on and then cuts it when the cake is on.

Why wouldn't she use a precut board made for cake?

One that is covered and then you wouldn't have to worry about cardboard fibres going into your icing.

Sorry more questions. I am fascinated. icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFdjMT44I1E&NR=1

Donnagardner  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 6

This is one way to stack a topsy turvy cake. You basically cut out so you have a level place to put the support and then stack the next layer so it looks like it is tilted when it really is not.

ptanyer  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 6

That's because she was building a topsy turvy cake and the big space was for the next tier to be placed on it. Sugarshack has a great DVD on just this topic. Worth every penny!

sara91 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 6

Ok, so most of you use these cake supports that click into place?

Below is a tutorial on flickr that shows how we Aussies make the cake. Of course it is not buttercream.

I can see the need for it to be level if you are using buttercream.

I want to try the buttercream decorating I find it fascinating. Will have to check out those DVDs. thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deliciously_decadent/sets/72157616259103302/

PinkZiab  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 6

I just use wooden dowels and masonite boards for all of my cakes, but some people use SPS and other plate separator systems with large hollow dowels/tubes. As far as cutting the cardboard to size, sometimes, especially with a carved cake, the cake may be carved to an irregular size so there is no ready-made cardboard to fit (as appears be the case with the cake in that video), so you would place the cake on a larger circle (or whatever shape) and trim it to size. But the corrugated cardboards are designed for use with cake (they're called cake circles).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%