Cake Supports, Why Is There A Huge Hole In The Cake?

Decorating By sara91 Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 8:59pm by PinkZiab

sara91 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone, I am not from the US and have never used cake supports or plates. I use thin dowels cut to size and inserted. They are hard plastic (food safe)

I have seen a video on You tube with someone using a cake support. I can't believe the size of the hole that was cut out of the cake.

I had to watch it three times.

Is this common? That would be a few portions that have been removed? I am looking forward to hearing more about this technique.

5 replies
sara91 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 6

I have just watched the next one. Sorry more questions!

She is using a piece of corrugated cardboard to sit the cake on and then cuts it when the cake is on.

Why wouldn't she use a precut board made for cake?

One that is covered and then you wouldn't have to worry about cardboard fibres going into your icing.

Sorry more questions. I am fascinated. icon_biggrin.gif

Donnagardner Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 6

This is one way to stack a topsy turvy cake. You basically cut out so you have a level place to put the support and then stack the next layer so it looks like it is tilted when it really is not.

ptanyer Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 6

That's because she was building a topsy turvy cake and the big space was for the next tier to be placed on it. Sugarshack has a great DVD on just this topic. Worth every penny!

sara91 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 6

Ok, so most of you use these cake supports that click into place?

Below is a tutorial on flickr that shows how we Aussies make the cake. Of course it is not buttercream.

I can see the need for it to be level if you are using buttercream.

I want to try the buttercream decorating I find it fascinating. Will have to check out those DVDs. thanks!

PinkZiab Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 6

I just use wooden dowels and masonite boards for all of my cakes, but some people use SPS and other plate separator systems with large hollow dowels/tubes. As far as cutting the cardboard to size, sometimes, especially with a carved cake, the cake may be carved to an irregular size so there is no ready-made cardboard to fit (as appears be the case with the cake in that video), so you would place the cake on a larger circle (or whatever shape) and trim it to size. But the corrugated cardboards are designed for use with cake (they're called cake circles).

Quote by @%username% on %date%