Shipping Cupcakes

Baking By sweetlayers Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 6:47pm by HelenM2002

sweetlayers Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone ship cupcakes to clients? If so, how do you get it done?

8 replies
cylstrial Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 9

I haven't heard many good things about shipping cakes, etc. So I would love to hear if someone has a good way to do it!

brincess_b Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 9

i think the popular way to do it is to ship the cupcakes packed in a box, with a bag of icng, and a bag of the sprinkles or whatever.
the other way is door to door courier service - a cost the customer would have to pay!
you can send them by regular mail service, theres evidience of it in the big uk bakers thread somewhere. but then again, theres failure stories about too. certainly dont make them fancy!
xx

cylstrial Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:16am
post #4 of 9

That's a good idea! To send them undecorated, with a bag and sprinkles. I like that a lot!

alvarezmom Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 9

I was wondering the same thing myself. My sister who live about 6 hrs away is always wanting me to send her stuff. I wouldnt mind but I would really hate to spend allot of time on something that UPS will end up messing up.

I dont think she would let me get away with sending her icing in a bag! LOL

loves2bake4six Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 9

I shipped decorated cupcakes ONCE. They were to my son in college - he wouldn't have cared either way but I made him tell me anyway.

I used one of those cupcake boxes where each cupcake sits in a hole. Then I put toothpicks in the top through the frosting to prevent them from hitting the top of the box if it was accidentally upended. I would have used those pizza tables if I could have found enough of them.

Finally it was shipped marked "VERY FRAGILE" and "this way up only please" and packed in a box with lots of packing peanuts. I shipped Priority and I think IIRC their was a surcharge for the special handling but it did get there OK. I think only one cupcake ended up smooshed.

alvarezmom Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2bake4six

I shipped decorated cupcakes ONCE. They were to my son in college - he wouldn't have cared either way but I made him tell me anyway.

I used one of those cupcake boxes where each cupcake sits in a hole. Then I put toothpicks in the top through the frosting to prevent them from hitting the top of the box if it was accidentally upended. I would have used those pizza tables if I could have found enough of them.

Finally it was shipped marked "VERY FRAGILE" and "this way up only please" and packed in a box with lots of packing peanuts. I shipped Priority and I think IIRC their was a surcharge for the special handling but it did get there OK. I think only one cupcake ended up smooshed.

I'll have to try something like that. Thanks for sharing....

alvarezmom Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 9

Here are some websites that I found for shipping cupcakes-containers. The first one is ideal to shipping cupcakes and not having them mess up. The rest you can find prety much anywhere.

http://www.cupacake.com/shop.asp
This one is preicey!!!

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/misc/cupcakes/bakingcups.htm
Less than half way down they have containers for single cupcakes.

http://www.plasticcontainercity.com/Cupcake-Containers-Muffins.htm
These are just plastic that you could find at your local bake retail shop.

HelenM2002 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 9

I will be making mini cupcakes for my sister-in-law's rehearsal dinner and shipping them. (I'm in FL, she's in RI. We're flying, and I don't want to try and fly with them.)

However, they will be unfrosted. I'm making the cupcakes this Saturday and then freezing them. I am going to pack them in a cooler with gel packs and then put the cooler in a box and ship that. I don't care if they thaw a bit during shipping, but I don't want them to get warm. I will frost them when I get there.

By the way, I work part-time for a caterer, and she told me that this should work fine. I'll let you know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%