:( Covered Cold Cake With Mmf - Now It Is Sticky & Shiny

Decorating By maggiev777 Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 11:51pm by idjitmom

maggiev777 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 5

I covered it when the cake was straight out of the fridge because I wanted a sharper upper edge than I usually can get when I cover my cakes at room temp. I thought the cold IMBC would keep the crisper upper edge, but now I realize that the cold cake underneath the newly applied fondant is attracting tons of condensation! Uh oh.

I set a fan blowing on it... will it dry enough so I can dust it with powdered sugar and smooth it? Right now it is super sticky and shiny... Really looks terrible since I couldn't even smooth it before condensation started. icon_cry.gif

4 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 5

It should dry enough. I've covered petit fours that were straight out of the freezer and they get very soft and sticky, then eventually dry with a matte finish. If you have enough MMF it may need another layer to look right when it dries out.

pipe-dreams Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 5

Yeah, i think once it dries it should be fine. Just make sure not to touch it while it is drying or it can leave marks on the cake.

maggiev777 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the reassurance!!! It seems to be looking a bit better... hopefully I can work with it soon. It's never occurred to me to add another layer on fondant... I might do that. We will see how it goes. It is just my DS's bday cake but I'd really like it to look nice!

thanks again!!

idjitmom Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 5

Don't try to dust w/ powdered sugar to help it dry, all that will do is leave you w/ clumps of sugar on your fondant. Just let it sit till the condensation is gone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%