Had Surgery And Dr. Put Ax To My Cake Making

Lounge By misroxy73 Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 2:27am by misroxy73

misroxy73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misroxy73 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 4

I had shoulder surgery about a month ago and I am going NUTS! I cant make cakes!! My arm is in a sling.... only good part about that is the Hubby has to do the housework!!Hee Hee....
I cant even design them.. I am right handed... and kinda hard to draw when your arm from elbow to fingertip is strapped down!!!
Floundering in limbo... lost my 9-5 last august, and now my side job has been taken away...I'm making everyone else just as nuts as I am...LOL
Broke the rules a time or two, (took the sling off) to make dinner when hubby wasnt home... but ohhh do i pay for it the next day...
Been trying to get a retail start up going but between economy, no capitol..( used it to live on the last year or so) and now surgery....I am so deflated in my dreams of getting my store front open... and no one in my area wil do " intern/helper" so the bank can see i'm still in the business, getting more experience...
with a bad arm right now i cant find a "regular job" or get my business going.. I just wanna cry!!....
Ok. I had my whining session... sorry.. thanks for listening....
Misty
any words of encouragement? Ideas....job openings?

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 4

Right now you just need to focus on healing. It takes more energy than you might realize to recover from surgery, and you want to make sure your body has enough rest to do it right, so you don't end up needing more surgery in the future.

I know how you feel, at least sort of. I broke my leg in February and had to have surgery. I just started walking again about a month ago and walking without the walker a week ago. My leg still hurts even though the doctors say it shouldn't (I have some hardware in there now, I think that's what hurts). I can only stand up for an hour or two before I hurt too much and have to spend the rest of the day sitting with my leg up. I want to find a job because my husband's employer is pretty close to going out of business, and I'd like to find something just in case...but all my work experience is in retail and that really involves being able to stand up for long periods of time.

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 4

misroxy73,

Why did you have shoulder surgery? Just curious....I'm facing the same fate as you. I have a separated shoulder, bursitis, tendonitis, osteoarthritis and some tearing in the shoulder. I've done the steroid shots and a month of PT. My surgeon is pretty sure I'll have to have surgery.

I had to stop making cakes because it was hurting my shoulder too bad. Of course, it's my right arm which makes it almost impossible to do anything without using it.

Hope you're feeling better!

mocakes

misroxy73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misroxy73 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:27am
post #4 of 4

Sorry for the tardiness, I never got an email telling me there was replies to my post. Soo sorry..
Well, I had the same stuff as you but on top of that I have( still same with left shoulder) a bone malformation which points down instead of out... basically.. put you hand on the top of your shoulder.. that bone there.. the end of it pointed down, which is a bad..... everytime I raised my arm past heart level.. the bone dug~tore`ripped`scrapped my tendons muscles and what ever else is in there.... and I have spent the last 3 yrs working in a gas station/kitchen... which I have to reach up.. I'm 5-2....
Long story short. the damage created a calcium deposit which push my whole rotator cuff, joint and muscles out of place.....so after sucking it for 2 yrs i broke down and got surgery. The shots were a joke.. they made it hurt worse, and after I saw the MRI results.. I refused PT. which would have just made the problem worse.. everytime i moved it.... it ripped my mushy stuffs...lol I was released from my sling this week... so I am moving it now. My PT said I was recovering ""Freakishly well", but I still do not have all of my motion back. i cant put my arm behind me.. the farthest is my hip area. ((I cant tie my apron or pull up my drawers!!LOL) no lifting tho~ at all. My 2 & 3 yr olds dont like that! So i decided to try to make my PT's a cake with people and equiptmnt.....looks like i will be using my fingers to mold some people.. never have before.any suggestions??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%