How Do I Get Shiny Silver Fondant?

Decorating By kweenofengland Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 11:32pm by underthesun

kweenofengland Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 16

How do i get this shiny silver fondant like on the drums in the attached pic? thanks for your help! I have to do this TONIGHT!
LL

15 replies
bashini Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 16

Hi, you can mix silver lustre dust with clear alcohol or clear extract. But I use confectioner's glaze.

If you have an airbrush, mix lustre dust with vodka and spray. icon_smile.gif

kweenofengland Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 16

what is confectioners glaze and where can i find it.

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 16

You can also buy a vial of wilton's silver dust from Michaels or Hobby Lobby if you're in a hurry. Mix it with vodka and paint it on or just dry brush it onto the fondant (that makes it a little glittery). It costs about four dollars.

I used it on this cake. It took the whole vial but it was a BIG cake.
LL

bashini Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweenofengland

what is confectioners glaze and where can i find it.

Its an edible varnish. Country Kitchen sweetart use to do them, but couldn't find it in there this time. I tried Global Sugar Art as well, but no luck!

But here is a shop that I found recently and they have it, but need to especialy order.

http://www.fondantsource.com/cogl8oz.html

And they also have something called Wilton Edible Fondant Glaze. Never seen that before and not sure whether it will work or not.

http://www.fondantsource.com/goedfogl.html

icon_smile.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 16

I have given up trying to paint silver fondant. I now make a very light grey color of fondant then i use a large blush brush and dust the entire thing with silver luster dust. Works like a charm and you dont have to worry about the clumping or uneven tone you can gt when painting it.

kweenofengland Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

I have given up trying to paint silver fondant. I now make a very light grey color of fondant then i use a large blush brush and dust the entire thing with silver luster dust. Works like a charm and you dont have to worry about the clumping or uneven tone you can gt when painting it.

BeeBoos, do you use vodka at all and do you brush with lustre dust before you apply the piece to the cake or after? thanks!

Bellatheball Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 16

I don't know if I've ever heard the definitive answer on this....we can eat the silver color right? I've read it's a heavy metal so we should avoid it. Then I've heard it's fine. Does anyone know for sure from a reliable source?

miny Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 10:46pm
post #9 of 16

[quote="BeeBoos-8599_"] I now make a very light grey color of fondant then i use a large blush brush and dust the entire thing with silver luster dust. Works like a charm [quote]

Great tip! Does it get really shiny? Do you need a lot of luster dust? I'm guessing you apply it dry over the dry fondant, right? I'm sorry I'm bombarding you with so many questions but I'd love to know.

sadsmile Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:12am
post #10 of 16

Apply vodca and allow it to dry to just bearly moist and then brush on dry silver highlighter. This is what I did on my Supergirl and on the little broach on my Nanny's Hat Box cakes. I firts bought the liquid silver paint and it is terrible never applys smoothly or dries without bubbles and it is way less silvery then the way I do it now.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:34am
post #11 of 16

I do not use the vodka at all. It gets as metallic looking as it did with the painting. Start with white fondant and add just the tinyest amount of black to get a grey fondant they once it is on the cake get the silver luster dust and go to town. The blush brush does alot of good to get even coverage.

miny Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:48am
post #12 of 16

[quote="sadsmile"This is what I did on my Supergirl and on the little broach on my Nanny's Hat Box cakes.[/quote]

Sadsmile, your cakes are amazing! Too bad I can't add them to my favs; don't know why it says that many people had but I don't have that option icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

MORSELSBYMARK Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:59am
post #13 of 16

Silver highlighter from Global Sugar Art mixed with clear extract or alcohol will do the trick

sadsmile Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:11pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks!!! I think the favs will be back after they do some more work on the site. The favs went missing two days ago that I saw and I have no doubt that they are already working on that part to make it better then it was before. Just be patient-(turns finger and points at self) LOL

miny Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:21pm
post #15 of 16

Can't wait to see more of your work, I'll be checking for both, your new work and the button to add it to my favs!!! icon_wink.gif

underthesun Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:32pm
post #16 of 16

Probably too late, but I used wilton's silver luster dust and lemon extract (mine's 83% alcohol), which dries super fast. The silver flowers had a nice metallic shine.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1386079

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%