Bitter Taste Of Semi-Sweet Chocolate

Decorating By Stacey16303 Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 6:02pm by Stacey16303

Stacey16303 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacey16303 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 17

Does anybody else dislike the taste of semi-sweet chocolate in their frostings? I made the chocolate IMBC & a chocolate ganache yesterday, both called for semi-sweet chocolate. I do not like the bitter taste in either item, neither does DH. Anybody have any suggestions - is it just using milk chocolate in place of the semi-sweet? Thanks so much for your help icon_smile.gif

16 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 17

milk chocolate would definitely make things sweeter...i would also say for some things (especially ganache), the quality of the chocolate really matters so make sure you're using really good quality stuff

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:42am
post #3 of 17

Maybe try changing the brand. I have no problem with it.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:49am
post #4 of 17

I LOVE dark chocolate, and find it is excellent in ganache and icings as it cuts some of the sweetness. So, I agree with the other posters, try a better quality bittersweet chocolate, or at least a different brand. icon_smile.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 17

I can't stand semi-sweet chocolate. I made ganache with it and had to try sweetening it with powdered sugar, but eventually just dumped it.

I only use milk choc. now.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:06am
post #6 of 17

i love dark chocolate! I am one of those crazy people who can eat pieces of the 85% cocoa lindt chocolate and not mind it lol everyone else goes eeewwwww bitter!

But for cooking i would use the 70% cocoa on the rare occasion cose it is less bitter but is too expensive to use all the time but yuuummmmmm

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:41am
post #7 of 17

Stands beside Elise87. ::Gimme:: Darker and most bitter is fabulous.

Milk chocolate for you, bittersweet for me.

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:50am
post #8 of 17

MMMMMM......I love dark chocolate!!!! That's the good stuff right there, baby!!!!

I wonder if I have any in the cupboard...

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:52am
post #9 of 17

I don't have a problem at all..... I love dark chocolate!!!!! The darker the better....

Elise87 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:56am
post #10 of 17

for one of my birthdays i had a dark chocolate fountain and by the end of it we were drinking out of the fountain by straws.....we also felt sick by the end of it too lol

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:59am
post #11 of 17

Oh, Elise87....

Mmmmm and Ewwww at the same time!

Elise87 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:02am
post #12 of 17

well by the end of the night there still was alot of melted chocolate left and we didn't want it to go to waste lol

Stacey16303: Maybe you could use a combination of milk and dark chocolate and that way it won't be too sweet or too bitter icon_smile.gif

miny Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:07am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

for one of my birthdays i had a dark chocolate fountain and by the end of it we were drinking out of the fountain by straws....

You got my dream birthday.......
You are so lucky!!!!!!

Elise87 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:37am
post #14 of 17

Ya know i just bought a stainless steel chocolate fountain and was only about 50cm high so it's not too big or expensive and i am sure you can buy them over in america if you ever want to get one icon_smile.gif

miny Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 6:30am
post #15 of 17
Quote:

Ya know i just bought a stainless steel chocolate fountain and was only about 50cm high so it's not too big or expensive and i am sure you can buy them over in america if you ever want to get one icon_smile.gif

I've seen them here too, but I know if I get it I'll get to 500 lb in a matter of days icon_surprised.gif LOL ............ And that's why it is my dream and I think it will be forever icon_cry.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:10am
post #16 of 17

dark chocolate ganache is AWESOME! i love it sooooooooo much.

Stacey16303 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacey16303 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:02pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:

well by the end of the night there still was alot of melted chocolate left and we didn't want it to go to waste lol

Stacey16303: Maybe you could use a combination of milk and dark chocolate and that way it won't be too sweet or too bitter icon_smile.gif

Yeah, I used 1/2 semi-sweet and 1/2 milk chocolate and it was still too bitter for me. Next time I'll try all milk chocolate. I used Ghiradelli (however the hek you spell it icon_wink.gif ), I thought that was supposed to be a good brand. I think I just need to chalk it up to not liking dark chocolate... icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%