Covering With Fondant

Decorating By DessertDreams Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 3:18pm by Uniqueask

DessertDreams Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 7

When covering your cake with fondant how much buttercream do you use to ice your cake??? Do you just do a light crumb coat? Or is the cake supposed to be fully iced and smoothed as if you were not going to cover it?

6 replies
Uniqueask Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 7

I do a little more than a crumb coat ,and smooth it nice and even, so my fondant looks good when I lay it on, and most of the people I make cakes for does not like fondant so they take it off, keep in mind if you put too much BC when you add your fondant it can start seeping out from the bottom when trying to apply it.

krissycupcakes Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 7

i try to do a thin layer of iceing but im not sure that im right either..... but if you do a heavy dose of butter cream and then fondant you might get bulges in your fondant from the wieght of the fondant pushing around the butter cream

DessertDreams Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 7

Since people pull off the fondant I though there should still be a nice amount of buttercream to eat with the cake. I was watching a Youtube clip from Sugarshacks fondant video and it seemed like her cake only had a light covering of buttercream and her edges were REALLY sharp. That made me question my method. I guess I need to find a happy medium. I don't get the buldges or seeping from the bottom but I don't get the sharp corners. I think the fondat "smushes" the edges of icing and gives it a rounded effect.

Rylan Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:58am
post #5 of 7

I usually do just a really really light coat. Almost like a crumbcoat. I find that all the icing in my layers are good enough.

brincess_b Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 7

different people do different things (same as to the thickness of the fondant). i tend to go for inbetween a crumb coat and a full coat. not had any problems with the bc seeping out - i think thats if your bc is too soft or you push down on the fondant too much.
it comes down to whatever works best for you. people in an area where fondant isnt popular to eat do tend to use more bc.
xx

Uniqueask Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 7

Desserts dreams, If you buy her Flawless Fondant DVD, you will see how she gets those sharp edges, she uses the two fondant smoothers that she sells on her site and she always make sure she ices her buttercream cakes with sharp edges likes she does in her Buttercream DVD she only uses less. Buttercream
HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%