Stacking And Support Question

Decorating By Flur Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 2:31pm by Rylan

Flur Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 10

I'm making a double layered 6 inch cake to sit on top of a double layered 12 inch cake. The 6 inch cake will be to the back of the 12 inch and centered. It's on the cake to provide heighth and visual effect for some figurines I'm putting on the cake. My question is do I need to support the 6 inch cake with anything underneath it?

9 replies
renee2007 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 10

yes, I would use some dowels or straws. thumbs_up.gif

Caralinc Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 10

To stack the 6in cake you will want to provide support: straws, dowl rods, something so the 6in cake will not fall into the cake below it. Spread the supports about 2ins apart from ea. other. HTH

aswartzw Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 10

Yes. Anytime you have a cake that is stacked you must dowel or the bulge will rear its ugly head. icon_wink.gif

Caralinc Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 10

To stack the 6in cake you will want to provide support: straws, dowl rods, something so the 6in cake will not fall into the cake below it. Spread the supports about 2ins apart from ea. other. HTH

projectqueen Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 10

The 6" cake should be placed on a cardboard round (I usually cover with press n seal). Then wooden dowels or straws (or the SPS system discussed all over the place on this website) should be place in the cake below and the cardboard round should be set on top of the support.

If you decide to go with dowels or straws you need to make sure they are all the same height and that they are inserted straight in the cake. If even one support is angled it could cause problems.

Good luck!

Flur Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 10

Please excuse my ignorance, but do I just use regular drinking straws?

Jan14grands Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 10

I too use the press and seal to cover my cardboards - love that idea - someone suggested it here and it really works great. No more moist cardboards. I use regular drinking straws or dowels for support on those sizes of cakes. Works fine. I have never done more than 2 tiers yet - I'm chicken icon_smile.gif And have never covered a whole cake in fondant - that's my next big step. Fun learning, isn't it? Everyone here is SO helpful!

projectqueen Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 10

If you do a search on here with "straws support" you will find a host of pros and cons to using straws, dowels, etc. It would be worthwhile to read some of those posts before you decide which you feel most comfortable using.

Rylan Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:31pm
post #10 of 10

I use a combination of bubble tea straws and wooden dowels. It never failed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%