Sharonsugarshack Buttercream

Decorating By sugarcheryl Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 3:30pm by sugarcheryl

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know how many cakes I can ice with the 5 lb powdered sugar and 5 cups shortening. I need to fill and ice 8,10,12,14.
Thanks for anyone's help.

5 replies
RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 6

it depends on the cake shape, try wilton's web site their cake chart will tell you how much icing to use. also depends on 2 inch 3 inch. Hope this helps.

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 6

I can almost assure you that you will need more icing than that. The 14 inch takes a lot of icing!

sugarcheryl Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks guys I figured it out and yes I needed more.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 6

I normally make 4 batches of Sugarshacks buttercream for any 4 tier cake. But I make 2 batches using 5 1/2 cup hi-ratio recipe and then I make 2 batches using a 4 cup hi-ratio recipe -- that way I am making 2 batches at one time using both mixers.

It will also depend upon what style of decorations you need to put on the cake as to how much buttercream you will need -- if you are doing swirls, vines, etc - it might take another batch - if the cakes are just smooth with a bottom border on each tier then the 4 batches should be plenty.

HTH

Suze

sugarcheryl Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks suzycakes I probably make extra for decorating. This is my first 4 tier buttercream cake for a wedding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%