Red Velvet Food Coloring ?

Baking By saberger Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 12:41pm by Elise87

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:13pm
post #1 of 7

Sorry, this is my first time making it. I am going to use cakemanraven's recipe and it calls for 1 oz of red food coloring. Is this the gel or the regular one from the store (more liquidy)?

TIA

6 replies
jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 7

I usually use the regular old liquid one. thumbs_up.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 7

i havn't tried it before either but can i pop in a question too? If you don't want to use alot of red food colouring and want to use a little bit less that's alright though isn't it? i mean i don't think it is gonna drastically change the taste or anything....

saberger Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 7

Elise87 - I haven't a clue. But is that what the vinegar is for? to take away the metallic taste that the food coloring has?

Thanks jaybug.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 7

Elise - if anything it would improve the taste!

I know you can get the no-taste red colour from Wilton, but can I just say putting an ounce of red food colouring into a cake freaks me out!

saberger Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:24pm
post #6 of 7

I just checked and I only have the .25 oz of red. Can I use gel? I was going to make it now and don't want to have to go to the store. icon_sad.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 7

i don't see why not and you will only need to use less cose it is more concentrated...gel and paste are similar arn't they? I have paste colours and i call then gel paste

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%