Cake Baking 101

Decorating By goof9j Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 11:12am by goof9j

goof9j Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:26am
post #1 of 5

I was baking 2 11 x 15 cakes and took them out of the oven. Waited about 20 minutes and flipped them over, walked away and when I looked back the whole cake was splitting. What happened? The next thing is after I baked 2 9 x 13's I let cool, flipped out of pan and let cool for about 15 -20 minutes. I wrapped them in saran wrap and put them in my fridge.
I check on them this morning and the yellow cake is somewhat wet on the bottom. I placed it on a cooling rack after baking, wrapped in saran wrap.
I need to frost them tonight. Any suggestions!!!!!

4 replies
goof9j Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 5

Anybody icon_cry.gif

shannon100 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 5

When you flipped it out, did you flip it back over so it wasn't sitting on the rounded top? It'll definitely split if it's sitting on a hump. I also flip out at 10 min, not 20, but I don't know if that would make it split or not.

I always wait until my cake is cooled completely before wrapping. Your cake may be wet because of the steam from the cake couldn't get out once it was wrapped. There are some people who wrap immediately, so maybe they'll answer you on the wrapping part.

JanH Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon100

When you flipped it out, did you flip it back over so it wasn't sitting on the rounded top? It'll definitely split if it's sitting on a hump. I also flip out at 10 min, not 20, but I don't know if that would make it split or not.

I always wait until my cake is cooled completely before wrapping. Your cake may be wet because of the steam from the cake couldn't get out once it was wrapped. There are some people who wrap immediately, so maybe they'll answer you on the wrapping part.

Exactly. thumbs_up.gif

goof9j Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:12am
post #5 of 5

I did flip it back over, but I think I didn't let it cool long enough in the pan before I flipped it. icon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%