How To Make Cartwheels???

Decorating By Sparklycake Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 8:29pm by Sparklycake

Sparklycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklycake Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:20am
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I've been asked to make a cake for a gentleman who is into Horses in a big way, his wife has asked me to make a little model of a pony & trap to sit on the top of the cake. I have explained they would be caricatures and she is okay with that (not taking on to replicate that exactly!), I have the pony and most of the trap figured out, but how will I make the cartwheels? They need to be able to stand - now I'm not expecting them to support the cart but they need to look like they could if you know what I mean.

This is the type of trap and wheel I'm talking about....

Any help would be gratefully received!

Sparkly

3 replies
katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:38am
post #2 of 4

Hmm, could you just use a round fondant cut out and pipe royal icing onto it for the spokes??

Sorry but the link to the pic isnt working so i cant tell what it is you are referring to.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:40am
post #3 of 4

I would use a 50/50 mixture of fondant and gumpaste.

You could use a round cookie cutter to shape the wheel perfectly round (using the inside of the cutter not the outside) and place pre cut strips of the 50/50 in the wheel to make the spokes or spindles of the wheel.

You would have to let in dry completely 1-2 days and it would harden up enough to stand on it's own.

Hope this helps and good luck...please post a pic when your done!

Sparklycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklycake Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 4

Sorry about the picture, the link worked in the preview. Maybe its too big, basically its a pony and trap like was used in the film "The Quiet Man" or "Darby O'Gill & The Little People".

I hadn't thought of doing it as a full circle and then putting the spokes on the outside, thanks for that idea Lizzy. I could give them a week to dry if necessary its not needed until the 20th.

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%