Newbie...need Lots Of Help!!

Decorating By Jenn2094 Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 11:34am by Rylan

Jenn2094 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:53am
post #1 of 4

Hello I am new to this site and I see how everyone is so helpful so I hoping that you guys will help me with my very ambitiously crazy plan!?!

Okay so my DD is turning the big 1 in July and we are having a big bash and the theme is cupcakes because I am obsessed! My plan is to make a three tiered cake, but I have no idea where to start? Well after the baking..that's where I really need help...i'm not sure what sizes to use, for the bottom two tiers as the top tier will hopefully be a big cupcake (the big wilton one). There will be about 80 people there and we want her to just dig into the big cupcake all by herself! I would love to use fondant all over except for maybe the top of the cupcake. okay I guess I need tips on how to get started, what sizes, how to fill the cakes properly so that my fondant won't mess up and how long and when to start...the party is on saturday and I would like to have everything done by friday so I can worry about the decor only on that day. Keep in mind it will be outside and hot...i live in so cal so there will be no humidity, but a lot of heat!

so please help me make an awesome cake! Thanks everyone!

3 replies
Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:16am
post #2 of 4

First of all, WELCOME to CC!

Here is the servings chart:

People have many ways but here is my way.

-Bake, cool
-Level, Torte
-Pipe a stiff dam (buttercream), fill with filling
-Assemble layers
-Let it settle for several hours
-Lay fondant

I would usually do some of the decorations ahead.

Hopefully JanH will chime in and post you all the links you would need.

Good luck.

JanH Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 4

Oh my, thanks for the nice introduction, RylanTy. icon_biggrin.gif

Hi and Welcome to CC, Jenn2094.

Decoding CC acronyms:

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:
(Also has popular CC recipes for: American buttercream,, fondant and doctored cake mix/WASC. Also answers all the other questions you had..)

Here's a link to tiered/stacked cakes in varying sizes that yield between 56 to 300 (wedding size) servings:

Rylan Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:34am
post #4 of 4

I knew it. JanH is really helpful, specially when it comes to links =].

Quote by @%username% on %date%