How Do I Get A Camo Effect?

Decorating By Ladiesofthehouse Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 3:16pm by Ladiesofthehouse

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:10am
post #1 of 5

In your opinion, what is the best way to make a camo (camouflage) cake? he customer wants it to look realistic, rather then whimsical, as there will be another 1/2 round cake on top of this 1/2 sheet cake for a 50th birthday.

The 3 methods I could think of are a) combine different colors of fondant in a marble effect into one sheet and cover the cake b) pipe buttercream randomly in different colors and spread with a spatula or c) fondant the cake and paint the camo in gel coloring with a brush or sponge.

Are there other methods that look realistic or do you think one of these would work? I am really trying to stay away from a cartoony look.

4 replies
Cake4ever Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:24am
post #2 of 5

If I were going to do this in BC for camo, which is totally different than the new digitized uniforms now by the way, I would pipe out sections in the different colors onto a parchment paper and freeze it. Then I'd pull it out and gently place the square or section onto the cake and using a fondant smoother, viva or a piece of parchment to smooth it on.

I have never made one before, so I am sure there are many more experienced ladies here with this who can offer you a better idea.

In order for it to look "real" you need to get the colors just right and the piped shapes on just so. You might print out some camo, say a 8x10 sheeet and use it under the parchment or waxed paper and use that as a guide when piping on your colors.

Hope this helps! thumbs_up.gif

G_Cakes Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:49am
post #3 of 5

I saw a technique once that was used to achieve birthday balloons on a white piece of fondant and I imagine that you could do the same thing for camo.

Roll out the fondant that will cover the entire cake but leave it a little thicker than normal (you will roll it out again in a sec)

Place random pieces of the camo fondant (in what ever colors your using) on top of the fondant you already rolled out. Then roll the randomly placed pieces into the fondant to proper thickness and cover the cake.

this should allow you to control the color pattern for the camo and also control the shape more so than if you were to marblize it by mixing it all together.

Hope this helps and cant wait to see a pic!

Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:24am
post #4 of 5

What I would do is make all the different colors of fondant. Get pieces of all the different colors, randomly place it right next to each other and then roll it out. It's like the marble effect but you kind of have distorted ball-like shaped pieces of fondant scattered. It's really hard to explain, hopefully you get what I mean.

Good luck.

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much for the great ideas, this is very helpful to me. I have a certain way I want it to look that I can picture in my head, the hard part is translating it to cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%