Is Ribbon Toxic???

Decorating By diane Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 1:41am by Elise87

diane Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:02am
post #1 of 19

i used black ribbon to put around a buttercream cake and later i noticed bleeding. i'm wondering if this is toxic? should i be worried??? any help would be greatly appreciated!!! icon_eek.gif

18 replies
auntmamie Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:10am
post #2 of 19

Most ribbon is not toxic, that I know of. The problem is usually the grease from the BC getting into the ribbon and causing it to bleed. Did you use a satin or grosgrain ribbon?

diane Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:33am
post #3 of 19

i'm not sure what type of ribbon, it was sort of like fabric...if that helps. icon_confused.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:53am
post #4 of 19

Line the back with contact paper and you won't have any issues with bleeding, greae stains, sagging, scrunching, etc.

Elise87 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:22am
post #5 of 19

i have some of that like clear book covering contact, that would be alright on the back of the ribbon wouldn't it?

Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:53pm
post #6 of 19

This is the reason why I don't use ribbons on cakes. I always feel worried.

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 19

I don't know if the book covering is the same of not. I get the clear Contact paper from Walmart.

diane Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 19

ok...the ribbon is already on the cake...so...is ribbon toxic??? icon_confused.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 19

I think "toxic" would be a bit extreme. I would think if something is truly toxic (oh my God I'm gonna die!!!) it would have warnings on it, whether it was intended for food stuff or not. I think there have been thousands upon thousands of cakes made in the history of all cakeing with ribbons wrapped around them. When someone can direct me to factual evidence of someone dropping dead after eating cake that had a sliver of ribbon on it...I'll quit using it.

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:11pm
post #10 of 19

So, Diane, all snarkiness aside, in my opinion, ribbon is just fine. icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:48pm
post #11 of 19

I'm not usually one to jump on the "ick" bandwagon, but most ribbon is manufactured in textile factories which do not have to comply with food safety codes. Factories, especially in third world countries, are notorious for vermin, such as rats, who make their homes there.

I don't like ribbon touching icing for long periods of time for the same reason I don't let my cats on the counter. I know where their feet have been! icon_wink.gif

That said, I wouldn't freak out over a cake with ribbon. And I certainly wouldn't freak out anyone else with horror stories and badmouthing someone's cake.

I guess it's like the 5 second rule. I've never heard of anyone dropping dead from eating food that has landed on the floor or ground. But that doesn't mean those people didn't ingest a trace amount of EWWWWWWWW. icon_wink.gif

Food for thought...

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:00pm
post #12 of 19

Ewww is right! So I'll pretend I never read your post and continue to line my ribbons blissfully unaware of the Taiwanese-rat pee soaked ribbon that I just put on an $800 cake. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:18pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Ewww is right! So I'll pretend I never read your post and continue to line my ribbons blissfully unaware of the Taiwanese-rat pee soaked ribbon that I just put on an $800 cake. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif




You certainly paint an appetizing picture... bwahahahaha!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

diane Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:52pm
post #14 of 19

i didn't mean toxic as in "it could kill" (lol) icon_cry.gif ...but just that i don't want anyone getting sick off of it! icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #15 of 19

Diane,

If the dye is bleeding onto the buttercream I would certainly remove the ribbon, scrape off the buttercream and redo it. You don't want to deliver or serve a cake that has black ribbon dye on it.

I would doubt that anyone would get ill from the small amount that would be ingested however I don't think it's good business to sell the cake with the dye on it.

Since joining CC I've made a conscious choice to stop using real ribbon on real cakes (only dummies). I now just make my ribbon out of fondant, one less worry in my opinion.

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:04pm
post #16 of 19

Oh goodness, yeah if there was dye on the BC or fondant, ick, no way would I allow that!

mackeymom Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:06pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Ewww is right! So I'll pretend I never read your post and continue to line my ribbons blissfully unaware of the Taiwanese-rat pee soaked ribbon that I just put on an $800 cake. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif




I snorted Dr Pepper out my nose! IT BURNS!!!

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:08pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Ewww is right! So I'll pretend I never read your post and continue to line my ribbons blissfully unaware of the Taiwanese-rat pee soaked ribbon that I just put on an $800 cake. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif



I snorted Dr Pepper out my nose! IT BURNS!!!




icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_surprised.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

Elise87 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:41am
post #19 of 19

i am more scared of staining or ruining my beautiful ribbon on a buttercream cake then whether it safe to put it on or not lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%