Need Help With Bottle Cake

Decorating By daisyjenn Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 5:47pm by Bellatheball

daisyjenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyjenn Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:56am
post #1 of 13

My husbands birthday is coming up and his favorite drink is Jack Daniels and Coke. I have seen some pics on here of both items. I am still pretty new at cake decorating. I think I can carve them with no problem. I have an old bottle to use as a model. I am not too sure if I should cover in fondant though. I would like to make the bottle look as real as I can. I will be using an edible image for the label on the bottle and for the Coke can. Any help would be great. His birthday is a month away for I have time. Thanks!! usaribbon.gif

12 replies
Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:13pm
post #2 of 13

I would go with the fondant but would love to hear if anyone else has any other suggestions.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 13

I did a coke bottle, it was only my second ever cake. (literly) and I used store bought frosting. I dont use fondant, and although my writing is crooked, I did write the coca cola. I was also using storebouht piping. It breaks easily and doesnt go on as well.

I literly found this place while I was making it. and didnt have viva papertowells, so I used computer paper instead. It would have worked great, but betty crocker BC icing is VERY greasy.
LL

shanna_banana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanna_banana Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:08am
post #4 of 13

The coke can would look really good in fondant...using silver lusterdust for the metallic parts would work beautifully. For the JD bottle, I would make a sugar bottle. You could make the whole bottle, or a half bottle (just the front half). It would look very much like a real bottle (search "bottles" for pics). You an also put an edible image on it very easily. Anyway, here is the link to some great instructions:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-624303-sugar.html+beer+bottles

You didn't say whether you are doing this as a 3D (stand-up) or 2D (laying face up on another) cake. Either way the sugar bottle technique would work. Be sure and read as much of the post as you can, because someone posted how to make the neck of the bottle clear, and the body dark, so it looks like it has liquid inside. I have made my mold and will make my bottles any day now. I plan on using a hard candy recipe instead of the half-n-half recipe they suggest. Using more corn syrup gives you more control--it won't start to burn and turn brown as quickly.

Wow, didn't know I was going to write all that! Hope some of it is helpful. Good Luck!

daisyjenn Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:54am
post #5 of 13

chellebyerly Your cake looks good.

shanna_banana I am planning on doing a 3D JD bottle and Coke can. I will look at that link cause I would love to make a sugar bottle. It would look very real. Thank you very much for the suggestions.

shanna_banana Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:29am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyjenn

shanna_banana I am planning on doing a 3D JD bottle and Coke can. I will look at that link cause I would love to make a sugar bottle. It would look very real. Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Glad I could help! icon_smile.gif Be sure and post the finished product 'cause I am really looking forward to it thumbs_up.gif

daisyjenn Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:35am
post #7 of 13

I just read through the thread about the sugar bottle mold. It looks a little easier then I thought it would be. Since I have a month till his birthday I think I will start now. Just in case my first one doesn't work out I have enough time to try again. I was first thinking about making the bottle out of cake with fondant but I think this would be better. Now I have to think of a way to get the JD bottle and a Coke cake on a cake and looking right.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:52pm
post #8 of 13

You could also use your JD bottle as a mold for gumpaste. That's how I did this wine bottle http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1350659

You could do it in two halves and glue together to get a standup bottle.

daisyjenn Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 13

beachcakes WOW!! That is a terrific looking bottle. It looks soooo real. So you just wrapped gumpaste or fondant around the bottle and let it dry? Then you painted it with gel colors? That sounds like something I could do. Now my mind is really working over time. I have to figure out if my idea will work now. Thank you for the suggestion. icon_biggrin.gif

daisyjenn Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 13

One question- would gumpaste or fondant work better to make the bottle? Which one would dry harder and be able to stand up better?

shanna_banana Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:56pm
post #11 of 13

beachcakes...double WOW! I already had your bottle cake in my favs. I always wondered how you did it and what you used to make it. I don't understand how you would use the bottle as a mold. If you are willing to share the details, daisyjen and I both are waiting in aticipation.

daisyjen, I think a lot of people use a 50/50 blend of gumpaste and fondant. That way you have more time to work with it, but eventually it will dry hard. But maybe beachcakes has a better suggestion.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:24pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks! my wine bottle cake is just 1/2 bottle out of gumpaste laying on top of the cake, so it's hollow. I liberally dusted a real wine bottle with powdered sugar and laid a sheet of gumpaste over. Trimmed it off so it would be 1/2 the bottle, and let dry. After a day, i carefully took it off and allowed air to get to the inside of the bottle for another day. Painted w/ gel color mixed w/ vodka. the label was paper b/c i killed my edible image printer.

Gumpaste dries harder and faster than fondant. I actually have issues with gumpaste, too much sea fog here, so I use fondant kneaded w/ tylose as my gumpaste and it works great.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:47pm
post #13 of 13

Beachcakes...wonderful cake and bottle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%